Finished torrents show as "Paused". Is this normal?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
vertigoelectric
New User
New User

Finished torrents show as "Paused". Is this normal?

Post by vertigoelectric »

I've been using the "offical" BitTorrent client for years and in that a torrent that is done downloading/seeding is marked as "Finished".

I've switched to Deluge 1.3.15 today and am not quite seeing this behavior. It seems when a transfer is done it gets marked as "Paused", which is just a little bit confusing to me.

Is this normal for Deluge? If not, what might I need to do to have completed transfers marked as such?
Shryp

Re: Finished torrents show as "Paused". Is this normal?

Post by Shryp »

Paused sounds right after they stop. Deluge just uses a little bit of a different wording for some things.
vertigoelectric
New User
New User

Hmmmm. Okay. I just wasn't sure if maybe I'd set things up wrong.

Thanks

Do you know if there's anyway to customize this? Perhaps I can dig into the code or something. If not, oh well. At least functionally it is completed. Just wish there was a more obvious way to tell.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

The "paused" state means the torrent is not seeding but should have finished (if not paused intentionally). The normal status after the download is "queued" and "seeding" based on request (check wiki for the queuing). If the paused status was not set intentionally maybe you have changed something in the seed ration target? Under preferences>queue>seeding is the option "stop seeding when share ration reaches" ticked or not?
vertigoelectric
New User
New User

I think you mean "ratio".

Yes, I do have the "stop seeding" option enabled.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Yes indeed. What's the value you set?
Can you try by unticking the "stop seeding" option with a new torrent? Is the behaviour the same without the option?
vertigoelectric
New User
New User

These are my settings:

You may notice I also have the SeedTime plugin. Just to let you know, I get the "Paused" status for torrents with or without that plugin enabled.

I've tried various values and settings with the seeding options, including enabling/disabling the "stop seeding when..." option as you mentioned. Regardless, after a torrent finishes downloading it will either say "Paused" or "Seeding", depending on the aforementioned settings. For whatever reason, I don't get any other result.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Following the settings I see you tried to configure Deluge to not upload anything right? (upload slot, etc)
It sounds logical for me to see a "paused' state, Deluge is not allowed to use any resource to upload so it can not set the status "seeding"
vertigoelectric
New User
New User

Oh, I thought I mentioned this in my original post, but after reviewing it i clearly did not... but yes, if I allow any amount of seeding it will give me the "Seeding" status, but that's it.

Let me provide a bit more context...

I want to avoid seeding if at all possible. A long time ago, I had received a copyright warning from my ISP. Some time later, another. At this point I realized that I only seem to get these warnings if I am seeding torrents. I have been able to download all I want without any problem. That was years ago, and since then my provider has changed, but I've still been able to download freely without issue. Still, I'd rather not take the risk.

I recently looked into the possibility of a VPN/Proxy, but I can't really afford to pay for a reliable one. Besides, to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be able to seed for any reasonable length of time anyway because I usually move the downloaded stuff to other places right away.

I'm not trying to be a greedy leecher but that's just how things have to be for me. That being said, I certainly greatly appreciate those who are willing and able to seed all those amazing torrents out there.

Anyway, back to the point. I've tried allowing a limited amount of seeding but even after that it just switches to "Paused" anyway. As mentioned before, BitTorrent also had options to limit the amount of seeding. I set this to as low as possible. The result was as follows:
"Downloading" → "Seeding" (very briefly) → "Finished" (when seeding limit reached)

That's just what I'm used to seeing. Just thought it'd be nice to have the same behavior with Deluge as well, but if it's not possible, I can live with that.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

To the best of my knowledge you can be caught by downloading, I've had this discussion with french people heavily monitored for torrent/streaming stuff. The VPN solution is a solution but the seedbox (rent server) is a better one following these people. Making the math (electricity 24/7 uptime, anonymous, etc.) makes this solution the most accurate but I guess it could depends of multiple factors.

BTW I'm feeding my Kodi box with torrent still seeding, meaning I move each torrent in a folder structure w/o issue. You simply have to make the move from Deluge. Even rename it (in Deluge) is possible w/o impact. But yeah as said and even if you've understood I'm strongly pro sharing this is not the point here :)

For the time being at least and considering the setting for the upload I think you have to live with it. Maybe the version 2.0 in beta have a different displayed message (finished) but far I cannot tell