Leeching Redemption

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
truenorth

Leeching Redemption

Post by truenorth »

Hello Deluge users. My newbie question I have isn’t technical, it’s more operational. A while back I installed Deluge, and a VPN, and downloaded a British television show that my wife wanted to see. Worked perfectly. Although I’m a computer scientist, I didn’t know very much about torrenting. I began to learn more about this and to my horror I learned I was a Leecher. I didn’t stay connected long enough to seed these episodes back. I decided to repay by reconnecting and also try to pay forward by hosting some files that I wasn’t interested in for myself.

I looked at EZTV and noticed the following request:

Q: How do I help you by seeding EZTV Torrents?

A: Firstly, thank you for helping us spread the torrents. You have to install a free torrent client - then you simply have to add our torrents RSS feed so that as soon as new torrents are released, your client will automatically download and seed them.

To do this, use the function "Add RSS Feed" and enter the following Feed URL: https://eztv.ag/ezrss.xml and be sure to download all items.

You need to make sure that you select a download directory with enough free space. Please keep the client running as long as possible. If you can seed 24/24 it would help EZTV a lot.

So I did this and watched it run. After a while I had just short of 1000 torrents listed with an overall download speed of about 1 mbs and an upload speed of about a tenth of that. I plugged a 300gb disk in to hold the content and suspended the RSS feed. Obviously EZTV’s request is crazy.
So, to be a good torrent participant, what’s the right way to be helpful? I understand reseeding what I request. Is there any way to recognize and hold files that have very few seeders? Is there a way to recognize and hold files for which there is high demand? Or rare and hard to get?
Shryp

Re: Leeching Redemption

Post by Shryp »

You don't need to download everything you see. Just upload whatever you download to a ratio of between 1.0 and 2.0. I usually go for 1.5. Also, It might be a good idea to read up on EZTV. Someone else basically stole their website and are now impersonating them.
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

Good advice, thanks. In a few hours of downloading their RSS feed, I got a ton of puerile drivel. How can basketball wives of LA be of any value to anyone. I'll trim this back. I would like to concentrate on British crime drama series which I really enjoy, and which deserve to be retained.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

The other thing you need to do is learn how to set up RSS in a more useful fashion. Most people set theirs up to only catch the specific things they are interested in and disregard everything else. It sounds like yours is set up to just auto include everything.

I would recommend the YaRSS2 plugin and set up some filters.