Deluge 1.3.15 Corruption of Proxy Settings has no effect

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
tsc
New User
New User

Deluge 1.3.15 Corruption of Proxy Settings has no effect

Post by tsc »

I am running Deluge 1.3.15 on Debian Jessie and encountered the following issue.

I set up a Socks5 proxy with my Windscribe credentials. I then intentionally corrupted those credentials by providing the wrong password and a non-existent host. I was still able to download the Ubuntu 17.10 torrent using these bogus credentials. I would have thought that my inability to connect to the proxy server would have blocked the file transfer, but that was not the case. What gives?
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Deluge 1.3.15 Corruption of Proxy Settings has no effect

Post by gderf »

Did you restart deluged after making those changes to the proxy settings?

If you did not restart deluged, and you had an existing open connection to the proxy, then that connection will be used (with the valid host and password).
tsc
New User
New User

Post by tsc »

I tried both restarting the daemon and restarting my whole device after changing the proxy settings. Neither restart made a difference. I was still able to download the file without a problem.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

I can not replicate the problem here. Running 1.3.15 on OpenMediaVault 3.x (Built on Debian Jessie 8.x).

All I get when corrupting the proxy host is "Error: Host not found (authoritative)" when looking at the Tracker Status on the Status Tab.

Have you installed the ltconfig plugin and enabled anonymous_mode and force_proxy ?
tsc
New User
New User

Post by tsc »

I've since done that (installed itconfig and enabled anonymous_mode and force_proxy). Now I get an authentication errors when I corrupt my proxy settings. What is happening when those libtorrent settings are not enabled? Does deluge fall back on my real IP if a proxy server cannot be reached?

BTW, @gderf thank you for looking into this.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

I am fairly certain that if you are not connected to the proxy and you are able to have torrents running, they are using your real IP address.

You might try going to the original configuration with the corrupted proxy host and without those ltconfig settings set, and download that torrent again. While it's running try running netstat -an in a shell. You should see the IP addresses of all your connections, many of which would be the peers you are connected to for that torrent.