migrating regular install to a headless install on Ubuntu 16.04.2

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
blackdalek

migrating regular install to a headless install on Ubuntu 16.04.2

Post by blackdalek »

I had deluge installed and running with configuration/torrent state data in my user's home folder as a stand alone application (installed via sudo apt install deluge), but now I want to convert to headless install (under /usr/bin) running as a systemd service with access through the deluge-web GUI.

I tried following the guide at http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... ce/systemd but must have messed something up because I ended up with broken system and the web interface did not show any of my torrent files (still in the home folder), could not get the deluge-console to connect (bad password?), and the web interface kept spewing error messages into the terminal window. I couldn't find any guide to uninstall the changes I made, so I just backed up my home folder with the good copy of my torrents and deluge config files, and re-installed the OS. Now I have a clean system again and can start from scratch, more or less.

So now I want to make a headless install of deluged which runs as a systemd service on startup and then copy my torrent states/files/downloads to it from my backed up home folder. How do I do this?
blackdalek

Re: migrating regular install to a headless install on Ubuntu 16.04.2

Post by blackdalek »

ok. After leaving it for a while and coming back to it. I had another go at following the guide.

This time I have no errors and my system isn't broken (I must have got something right somehow lol)

However... I STILL don't know how to make the deluged daemon "find" my torrent states from the old full client (the torrent states stored under ~/.config/deluge/ )

At the moment I can connect to the daemon by pointing my browser to the deluge-web interface, but the list of torrents is empty (it can't find my torrent state info).

Please... how/where to I copy the torrent state info to where deluged can "see" it?
blackdalek

Post by blackdalek »

I've figured out that there is a directory /var/lib/deluge/.config but I can't access it with my user despite having typed "sudo adduser myuser deluge" as per the instructions in the guide.

I assume I've got to copy the contents of ~/.config/deluge to /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge but right now this seems impossible as I have no access.

Please can anyone help? Cas where are you?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

This is not specific to deluge it's Linux cli usage and permissions. You can copy with 'sudo cp' and chmod config files to deluge user.
blackdalek

Post by blackdalek »

OK, I'm not a whiz at using the command line, so.... is it "sudo cp ~/.config/deluge /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge" then "sudo -u deluge chmod -R u+rwx /var/lib/deluge/.config" ?
Please correct me if I've messed up the command.
blackdalek

Post by blackdalek »

Someone was helping me in the #ubuntu IRC help channel. They suggested:
sudo cp -pvR ~/.config/deluge/* /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge/
sudo chown deluge /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge -R
sudo chmod 644 /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge/ -R
sudo chmod 755 /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge

After doing this, I can no longer start the deluged daemon :(

Code: Select all

kodi-user@kodiuser-Aspire-L3600:~$ sudo systemctl status deluged.service 
● deluged.service - Deluge Bittorrent Client Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/deluged.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-07-23 10:25:09 AEST; 8min ago
     Docs: man:deluged
  Process: 2380 ExecStart=/usr/bin/deluged -d (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 2380 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 23 10:25:08 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: deluged.service: Main process exited, code=exited,
Jul 23 10:25:08 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: deluged.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jul 23 10:25:08 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: deluged.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 23 10:25:09 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: deluged.service: Service hold-off time over, sched
Jul 23 10:25:09 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: Stopped Deluge Bittorrent Client Daemon.
Jul 23 10:25:09 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: deluged.service: Start request repeated too quickl
Jul 23 10:25:09 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: Failed to start Deluge Bittorrent Client Daemon.
Jul 23 10:25:10 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: deluged.service: Start request repeated too quickl
Jul 23 10:25:10 kodiuser-Aspire-L3600 systemd[1]: Failed to start Deluge Bittorrent Client Daemon.
What went wrong?
blackdalek

Post by blackdalek »

I deleted all the files I copied to /var/lib/deluge/
Deleted the user deluge and group deluge
Recreated the user and group with "sudo adduser --system --gecos "Deluge Service" --disabled-password --group --home /var/lib/deluge deluge"

Now "sudo systemctl start deluged" runs the deluged.service again OK, but I am back to my problem of having no torrent states again.
I've basically undone all the changes I was told to make by the #ubuntu channel help. Back to square 1.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Ah yes as per faq only copy the deluge/state folder over

Code: Select all

sudo cp -pvR ~/.config/deluge/state/* /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge/state
blackdalek

Post by blackdalek »

Thanks Cas... that got my torrent list back without making the daemon stop.
Only problem now is, I get an error on any incomplete torrents, but completed torrents seed without error. My downloaded files are not stored in /var/lib/deluge/ but ~/Downloads/Torrents/ so I think the user "deluge" doesn't have write access? Is that right?

Can I give write permission to user "deluge" for a specific folder (~/Downloads/Torrents) or do I have to move all the downloaded files into the /var/lib/deluge/ folder?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Yeah that is a write permission for the deluge user. There are various ways to tackle that but yes you can chmod the folder for deluge group and give it group write permission