[Solved] DHT bootstrap failure.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

[Solved] DHT bootstrap failure.

Post by mhertz »

I use a socks5 proxy and often deluge fails bootstraping the DHT network upon daemon startup, so it lists 0 nodes in the UI. This never happens on qbittorrent(-nox), so not a libtorrent issue. One thing I noticed different, is that qbittorrent in the source adds some extra bootstrap-servers more than deluge in the libtorrent option dht_bootsrap_nodes i.e.:

"dht.libtorrent.org:25401,router.bittorrent.com:6881,router.utorrent.com:6881,dht.transmissionbt.com:6881,dht.aelitis.com:6881",

But adding exact same list with the ltonfig plugin doesn't fix the issue, though the libtorrent spec states changing this setting will not have any effect if DHT is already started, and so maybe i'm thinking ltconfig adds them to late? Probably not, but it's just strange to me, since it's libtorrent that does the DHT thing and not deluge or qbittorrent and with same latest libtorrent version there are big differences between the two apps in regards to this. Lastly, I checked the log, but there where nothing really seperating the failed vs non-failed logs. Both has some UDP errors:

[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 udp_error_alert: UDP error: Bad file descriptor from: 0.0.0.0
[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 listen_succeeded_alert: successfully listening on [TCP] [::]:49209
[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 listen_succeeded_alert: successfully listening on [TCP] 0.0.0.0:49209
[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 listen_succeeded_alert: successfully listening on [UDP] 0.0.0.0:49209
[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 udp_error_alert: UDP error: Operation already in progress from: 0.0.0.0

Also, this:

[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 alert: DHT error [hostname lookup] (1) Host not found (authoritative)

However... I just came to thinking... If checking these lines:

[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 udp_error_alert: UDP error: Bad file descriptor from: 0.0.0.0
[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 alert: DHT error [hostname lookup] (1) Host not found (authoritative)
[DEBUG ] 10:28:38 alertmanager:124 external_ip_alert: external IP received: <PROXYIP>

Doesn't that look like the DHT tries to start before even getting the socks5 proxy IP?

I don't expect much to come from this extremely vague post, but still, i've thought about this for months, actually a year now, so just thought to put it out there just in case, now that i've finally settled on deluge :)
Last edited by mhertz on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: DHT bootstrap failure.

Post by Cas »

It was something I was looking at recently. Deluge does use only a few hardcoded nodes and it is very likely anything in ltconfig would be overwritten. What I may try it to append the settings rather than overwrite.

If you create a ticket I can certainly update the list of nodes used.
mhertz

Re: DHT bootstrap failure.

Post by mhertz »

Great! Thanks Cas, highly appreciated, i'll make a ticket for it then. :)

Edit: It seems this was a ltconfig plugin issue with enabling force_proxy and not a general deluge issue, so for others experiencing this, then revert back to previous ltconfig version, which either fixes it, or atleast makes it happen much less instead of always.

Edit2: Newest ltconfig version released today, fixes the issue, so now no need to use older version(v0.2.4.1), as newest(v0.3.1) works fine also, and it's just v0.3.0 that's faulty in this regard.