Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Connecting to peers takes a long time

Post by shamael »

thx :)
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

mhertz wrote:Sorry to hear that, that's really frustrating I can imagine and not just a little thing to ignore. Hope the ticket helps and if I ever hear something related to help, then i'll sure drop you a line of course.
btw guys, let me ask u a question. What would u recommend between qBittorrent and Deluge? and Why? What's the advantages?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Personally, I feel deluge is more configurable in that it has advanced plugins like ltconfig and labelplus etc. Qbittorrent uses less memory(if setting cache identical, as by default they're not alike) and less CPU, as is a C++ app compared to python.

The main arguments for deluge is it's client/server model and multiple interfaces(with even a thinclient) and plugins. Qbittorrent also has a no-GUI daemon version called qbittorrent-nox which can be controlled through it's webinterface in a browser(which is what I use myself). It's lacking plugins(and thin-client), but has more built-in, like integrated search and RSS.

I have still a hard time choosing, and am a "purist/minimalist" so don't wanna have both installed, and have only in this week changed back and fourth twice, lol. I'm happy I made that shell-script so it's just a matter of running a single command to change client and set it up as wanted automatically. It personally annoys me to have QT installed for a single app(qbittorrent) which is my main "gripe" with qbittorrent, but as deluge and qbittorrent with all deps takes up pretty much the same space, then it' not really an issue, but still, i'm a little strange like that :)

I feel qbittorrent is more up2date with latest libtorrent development, though they also have more devs and deluge pretty much is a one mans effort as it stands currently.

It's just personal preference really. If I didn't needed socks5 proxy support(as I have a free account), then I would use rtorrent(with a VPN) which is much lighter and I prefer command-line apps.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Btw, I just checked in the GTK client(which I normally never use), that deluge doesn't report all the trackers used(with announce_to_all_trackers enabled), but by checking the log then it's clear that they are all checked in parallel from the start and peers obtained and used, so it does work, but just doesn't look like it in the GTK-GUI. I then again checked that the announce_to_all_tiers didn't make any extra effect when announce_to_all_trackers already was used.

Actually I only checked this after having checked another thing first... Often there's several of the trackers not responding and so times out and not used. By default, timed-out trackers are rechecked once every about 5 minutes(4 minutes and 20 secs I believe). If wanna make this more often, like e.g. rtorrent(one of the only places rtorrent is more aggressive, lol), then you can through ltconfig change the libtorrent option tracker_backoff from the default 250 to e.g. 5. I checked the log and timed-out trackers are rechecked every 5 seconds and in my test-case then one tracker where not responding the first two times, but the third time it worked and I got 6 new peers(not alot, but nonetheless, it could just as well been hundreds). That was 15 secs around to archieve that, where else it would have occured after 15 minutes... Pretty nice option also imho and worth a thought... :)
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

mhertz wrote:Personally, I feel deluge is more configurable in that it has advanced plugins like ltconfig and labelplus etc. Qbittorrent uses less memory(if setting cache identical, as by default they're not alike) and less CPU, as is a C++ app compared to python.

The main arguments for deluge is it's client/server model and multiple interfaces(with even a thinclient) and plugins. Qbittorrent also has a no-GUI daemon version called qbittorrent-nox which can be controlled through it's webinterface in a browser(which is what I use myself). It's lacking plugins(and thin-client), but has more built-in, like integrated search and RSS.

I have still a hard time choosing, and am a "purist/minimalist" so don't wanna have both installed, and have only in this week changed back and fourth twice, lol. I'm happy I made that shell-script so it's just a matter of running a single command to change client and set it up as wanted automatically. It personally annoys me to have QT installed for a single app(qbittorrent) which is my main "gripe" with qbittorrent, but as deluge and qbittorrent with all deps takes up pretty much the same space, then it' not really an issue, but still, i'm a little strange like that :)

I feel qbittorrent is more up2date with latest libtorrent development, though they also have more devs and deluge pretty much is a one mans effort as it stands currently.

It's just personal preference really. If I didn't needed socks5 proxy support(as I have a free account), then I would use rtorrent(with a VPN) which is much lighter and I prefer command-line apps.
Ohh I see. Actually, I was a long time Bittorrent user. Then it's been few weeks I switched to qBittorrent. But after trying out Deluge I was disappointed as it wasn't finding any peers but after installing the itconfig plugin and selecting High Performance Seed everything was fixed immediately. So, I'm still a bit confused between this two. But the UI of qBittorrent is cleaner I think. There are few extra details like it even shows the torrent file was created by which app, it even shows the Port of the peers. It's not like these are much have feature though :D
But I'm happy with the performance of Deluge :) But Deluge doesn't have any start in Windows startup feature. I know that can be done in other ways but I like my torrent app to start in tray icon are at windows startup so it's kind of frustrating :cry:
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

mhertz wrote:Btw, I just checked in the GTK client(which I normally never use), that deluge doesn't report all the trackers used(with announce_to_all_trackers enabled), but by checking the log then it's clear that they are all checked in parallel from the start and peers obtained and used, so it does work, but just doesn't look like it in the GTK-GUI. I then again checked that the announce_to_all_tiers didn't make any extra effect when announce_to_all_trackers already was used.

Actually I only checked this after having checked another thing first... Often there's several of the trackers not responding and so times out and not used. By default, timed-out trackers are rechecked once every about 5 minutes(4 minutes and 20 secs I believe). If wanna make this more often, like e.g. rtorrent(one of the only places rtorrent is more aggressive, lol), then you can through ltconfig change the libtorrent option tracker_backoff from the default 250 to e.g. 5. I checked the log and timed-out trackers are rechecked every 5 seconds and in my test-case then one tracker where not responding the first two times, but the third time it worked and I got 6 new peers(not alot, but nonetheless, it could just as well been hundreds). That was 15 secs around to archieve that, where else it would have occured after 15 minutes... Pretty nice option also imho and worth a thought... :)
thx for the test and report, will test tracker_backoff too :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Shamael, cool and you're welcome of course :)

SeriousHoax, I believe there's an option in deluge to start minimized(else I can whip up a small batchfile that does it if you add a single free executable to your system e.g. cmdow), and then you can rightclick/copy the desktop/startmenu-shortcut, press win+R and type shell:startup and then rightclick/paste the shortcut into that folder that shows up, so deluge starts minimized at windows boot.

Also, I agree with you about the more clean and better interface of qbittorrent and better options built-in. Many state deluge is more aggressive than other clients, but that's because of libtorrent and not really deluge so qbittorrent is just as aggressive. However, the ltconfig plugin let's you change more options to further optimize libtorrent, whereas qbittorrent only gives you the most important options. In my tests, the options of high-performance-seed didn't help the downloading-time for me, and all those extra libtorrent connections takes bandwith away from you too, but if it works for you, then that's the main thing of course! :)

To be totally honest, then I feel that unless you need something specific that deluge offers like some plugin or thin-client(though as said, qbittorrent-nox daemon with web-frontend is a viable alternative), then qbittorrent would be my suggestion.
Last edited by mhertz on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

mhertz wrote:Shamael, cool and you're welcome of course :)

SeriousHoax, I believe there's an option in deluge to start minimized, and then you can rightclick/copy the desktop/startmenu-shortcut, press win+R and type shell:startup and then rightclick/paste the shortcut into that folder that shows up, so deluge starts minimized at windows boot.

Also, I agree with you about the more clean and better interface of qbittorrent and better options built-in. Many state deluge is more aggressive than other clients, but that's because of libtorrent and not really deluge so qbittorrent is just as aggressive. However, the ltconfig plugin let's you change more options to further optimize libtorrent, whereas qbittorrent only gives you the most important options. In my tests, the options of high-performance-seed didn't help the downloading-time for me, and all those extra libtorrent connections takes bandwith away from you too, but if it works for you, then that's the main thing of course! :)

To be totally honest, then I feel that unless you need something specific that deluge offers like some plugin or thin-client(though as said qbittorrent has qbittorrent-nox with web-frontend as viable alternative), then qbittorrent is the better client imho.
WoW!!! you are really helpful :)
btw, as u said the High Performance Seed takes away the bandwidth, ya actually it's happening to me :oops: When Deluge is downloading it takes away all my bandwidth so i'm unable to browse properly.
So, that's the problem. If I don't enable High Performance seed it is unable to find to peers properly and If I enable High performance seed it eats my whole bandwidth. Terrible situation.
Is there anything I can do/change from the itconfig plugin so that Deluge won't eat all my bandwidth??
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hmmm, honestly i'm not that much into the libtorrent internal options, and I find it strange that it makes such big difference for you in simply finding the peers(though believe you of course). If it was me, then I would troubleshoot with disabling one option at a time from that ltconfig preset and test to find out what is the culprit of the bandwith-issue, though I would highly suspect it's one or both of the options "connection_speed" and "connections_limit", as they are very highly set. I would assume it's probably the connection_speed, as that's by default 10 in libtorrent and then deluge and qbittorrent raises it to 20, but that plugin preset further raises it to 500! That's 500 connections each second! If it's those, you can play with the numbers so as to lower them as much as needed in your situation. Good luck :)
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

mhertz wrote:Thanks :)

Hmmm, honestly i'm not that much into the libtorrent internal options, and I find it strange that it makes such big difference for you in simply finding the peers(though believe you of course). If it was me, then I would troubleshoot with disabling one option at a time from that ltconfig preset and test to find out what is the culprit of the bandwith-issue, though I would highly suspect it's one or both of the options "connection_speed" and "connections_limit", as they are very highly set. I would assume it's probably the connection_speed, as that's by default 10 in libtorrent and then deluge and qbittorrent raises it to 20, but that plugin preset further raises it to 500! That's 500 connections each second! If it's those, you can play with the numbers so as to lower them as much as needed in your situation. Good luck :)
Ohh I see.That makes sense.

Thanks for not feeling disturbed as I disturbed you for more than a week now. Haha.... Anyway, Thanks for helping man :) I'll try tweaking those things u talked about.
TNX :D