Connecting to peers takes a long time

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
SeriousHoax

Connecting to peers takes a long time

Post by SeriousHoax »

Every time I start a download, it takes a very long time to connect to the peers. The download don't start in forever. BitTorrent is fastest to connect to peers & Qbittorrent is closely second. Why Deluge is taking such long time? Connection, Network settings are default. After a download is started and I pause it for few seconds and then resume it, it again takes a pretty long time to reconnect. What's the problem? How to fix this?
MutatedHero

Re: Connecting to peers takes a long time

Post by MutatedHero »

Try installing the ltConfig plugin and enable High performance seed.
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

MutatedHero wrote:Try installing the ltConfig plugin and enable High performance seed.
Thanks. How can I enable/Disable uTP connections? I'm not seeing it in the settings menu.
MutatedHero

Post by MutatedHero »

You can do that in ltConfig by unticking the following:
enable_outgoing_utp
enable_incoming_utp

I've not noticed any speed difference with this setting though.
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

MutatedHero wrote:You can do that in ltConfig by unticking the following:
enable_outgoing_utp
enable_incoming_utp

I've not noticed any speed difference with this setting though.
Ohh I see. Thanks :) Actually, I'm switching back and forth between Deluge & Qbittorrent. So, trying out both apps features. Still not sure which one I'm gonna use permanently :p :roll:
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I have switched back and fourth from deluge to qbittorrent countless times, so much that I made a shell script that does it for me with settings applied and removing the other client etc, lol(changeclient.sh <deluge|qbittorrent>).

Anyway, the biggest difference speedwise between the two, is that as many torrents have multi-trackers available, then deluge only uses one tracker and qbittorrent by default uses all. If you wanna enable that for deluge, then enable the libtorrent option: "announce_to_all_trackers" through the ltconfig plugin. This will many times give you much more peers to choose from, which gives better speed often. Other than that, then by default deluge has 200 max peers in total, whereas qbittorrent has 500, but limited 100 per torrent. Both have by default 20 connections per sec, even though it's non-configurable in qbittorrent(I checked source). The libtorrent high-performance-seed preset through ltconfig, defines 8000 max connections and 500 connections per second. Keep in mind it's not a preset designed for downloading the doc states, so I would only use some of the options from the preset, which I understand the impact off and which won't hurt downloading, e.g..

"connection_speed": 500,
"request_timeout": 10,
"connections_limit": 8000,
"peer_timeout": 20,
"inactivity_timeout": 20,

These are just some from that preset which I knew as looked them up, and there are probably many more that are good(for downloading I mean and not just seeding), but I didn't looked them up yet. I don't use any of the above options though personally, since there weren't really any speed advantage for me in some short testings of this.

Note, people using a socks5 proxy for masking there IP, need ltconfig plugin too and setting the options force_proxy and anonymous_mode, just like qbittorrent has options for in there main interface.
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

mhertz wrote:I have switched back and fourth from deluge to qbittorrent countless times, so much that I made a shell script that does it for me with settings applied and removing the other client etc, lol(changeclient.sh <deluge|qbittorrent>).

Anyway, the biggest difference speedwise between the two, is that as many torrents have multi-trackers available, then deluge only uses one tracker and qbittorrent by default uses all. If you wanna enable that for deluge, then enable the libtorrent option: "announce_to_all_trackers" through the ltconfig plugin. This will many times give you much more peers to choose from, which gives better speed often. Other than that, then by default deluge has 200 max peers in total, whereas qbittorrent has 500, but limited 100 per torrent. Both have by default 20 connections per sec, even though it's non-configurable in qbittorrent(I checked source). The libtorrent high-performance-seed preset through ltconfig, defines 8000 max connections and 500 connections per second. Keep in mind it's not a preset designed for downloading the doc states, so I would only use some of the options from the preset, which I understand the impact off and which won't hurt downloading, e.g..

"connection_speed": 500,
"request_timeout": 10,
"connections_limit": 8000,
"peer_timeout": 20,
"inactivity_timeout": 20,

These are just some from that preset which I knew as looked them up, and there are probably many more that are good(for downloading I mean and not just seeding), but I didn't looked them up yet. I don't use any of the above options though personally, since there weren't really any speed advantage for me in some short testings of this.

Note, people using a socks5 proxy for masking there IP, need ltconfig plugin too and setting the options force_proxy and anonymous_mode, just like qbittorrent has options for in there main interface.

WoW you really dig deep ha :D Actually, i don't really understand all the details u talked about. I don't have much knowledge regarding these. But I know about few like the tracker thing u talked about which seems important. I'll make those changes u talked about and will see how the performance varies :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry I seem to have a tendency to blab on endlessly i've noticed, lol :) Anyway, I would advice just adding the tracker option as you stated, which pretty much mimicks how utorrent behaves in that regard. If you wanna fully mimick utorrent for this, then instead use the option "announce_to_all_tiers". However, the previously suggested option includes that functionality while working even better, so to not blab on like I use too, then lets just keep it at "it's the better choice" :)

I wouldn't really use any of the other options, though you can test if they improve anything for you of course, and I just added them because another poster suggested to use the high-performance-seed preset and so I came with a few recommendations regarding that.

Good luck :)
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

mhertz wrote:Sorry I seem to have a tendency to blab on endlessly i've noticed, lol :) Anyway, I would advice just adding the tracker option as you stated, which pretty much mimicks how utorrent behaves in that regard. If you wanna fully mimick utorrent for this, then instead use the option "announce_to_all_tiers". However, the previously suggested option includes that functionality while working even better, so to not blab on like I use too, then lets just keep it at "it's the better choice" :)

I wouldn't really use any of the other options, though you can test if they improve anything for you of course, and I just added them because another poster suggested to use the high-performance-seed preset and so I came with a few recommendations regarding that.

Good luck :)
Hahaha...No u didn't blab at all :) U explained some good stuff actually. It's my fault that I don't have much idea about those. But I enabled "announce all trackers" option. Maybe it's helping me getting good speed I don't know but after enabling High performance seed from itconfig plugin I haven't face any issue so far regarding longer time to connect to peers :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks mate, I appreciate it and you're of course most welcome and i'm glad your issue hopefully is resolved now :)