Unable to restore Deluge backup on Synology

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
dima
New User
New User

Unable to restore Deluge backup on Synology

Post by dima »

I'm migrating from a Synology DS216Play to a DS916+ and have a bunch of torrents sitting in Deluge that I'm trying to migrate over. I don't care about the app config, just trying to get the torrents themselves migrated over.

I'm running the Deluge package from the Synocommunity repo on both systems (v1.3.13-7).

I've moved all the actual files already and used rsync to copy everything in /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/state. I've set up Deluge on the new box and put the contents of /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/state back, but Deluge doesn't seem to recognize any of it. When I start it up, it's just empty. After a few tries it wouldn't start at all anymore and I had to reinstall the package to get it to start.

My last resort will be to actually load in the torrents in one by one from the state folder but it's going to take a while. It seems like I'm missing something simple here but I'm not really sure what it could be. Is there something else I need to copy to make Deluge recognize the stuff in the state folder? As far as I can tell the actual list of torrents/locations is all stored in that folder. Any help appreciated, thanks.
Tvich

Re: Unable to restore Deluge backup on Synology

Post by Tvich »

If the locations are identical on both your installs, copying the whole config dir should and will work. All the files in state are def. needed.
Depending on the package, all config files might also be needed (don't know the paths ).

Recreate the exact dir. structure and it will work.

Also stay away from that deluge package. Not a lot of people use it, so getting any help is going to be hard.

P.S. How many is a bunch? Like thousands?
dima
New User
New User

Post by dima »

At the moment it is about 500 torrents. I'll take a look at the exact structure when I get home and post it here. I did try copying everything from /var/ and that didn't work either. Thanks for the heads up about the package. What is the recommended way to install Deluge on a Synology? Should I be using Docker?
Tvich

Post by Tvich »

Yeah, you should be on docker.
Suggestion: 600 is to much to click away. You have all the torrents in one dir, or do you have labels and sorted dirs and a neat system?
dima
New User
New User

Post by dima »

They're sorted into various directories on my volume. So if I was doing it manually I would have to add each one and then manually select the directory it belongs in. I figured if I could do a backup and restore, it would just restore all of the torrents knowing the directories the files are already in. Question re: Docker in case you know- should I be using the one that is in the Synology Package Center? Or is there a better place to grab it from where it is more up to date or something.
Tvich

Post by Tvich »

What i would try is:
Move all the data in to one dir (downloads). Add 50-100 torrents at a time.

Docker: Use the docker that comes with dsm. It's a bit old, but it will do fine.
dima
New User
New User

Post by dima »

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will ultimately switch to the Docker solution as it seems like it is a more modular solution. In the meantime I'm also going to see if I can find anything else I missed in copying the config over from the original package. If anyone else has experience with this, still open to suggestions.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

I made comparable move with files located on drive with multiple directories. On only kept the state folder and the file/folder structure without issue.
Have you made a "chown -R user:group" with the new user/group on the new installation (on state and foler structure)?
Maybe a matter of file ownership
dima
New User
New User

Post by dima »

shamael wrote:I made comparable move with files located on drive with multiple directories. On only kept the state folder and the file/folder structure without issue.
Have you made a "chown -R user:group" with the new user/group on the new installation (on state and foler structure)?
Maybe a matter of file ownership
Thanks for the reply! So you were able to do it with just the state folder? So maybe it is a permission issue then. What did you set your permission user:group to?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

The faq details that the state folder contains all the torrent info. And permissions have to be the same as the user that the deluge application is running under...