Why does Deluge stop seeding all torrents when "Checking" a file?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
bengalih

Why does Deluge stop seeding all torrents when "Checking" a file?

Post by bengalih »

This is with 1.3.14 on Windows 7

Pretty much what the titles says.

I can be seeding out any number of torrents and as soon as I add a new one to seed and Deluge has to "check" the files before it begins seeding, all my other torrents rapidly begin to drop bandwidth until they are are almost zero. Right now my cumulative 1.1 MB/s between 4 torrents was reduced to about 10kbps - so essentially 0.

Since checking a large torrent can take 30 minutes or more, and I sometimes add several a day, this causes me to lose valuable seeding time.

I see no good reason why the program should do this. The only reason I can think is to regulate disk I/O. But - if that's the case, why doesn't it also do this when creating a new torrent file (Ctrl+N)? Also, the program can't account for I/O from non-deluge sources, so it seems silly to throttle it.

I'd like to think this was a bug - but I can't find anything else discussing it.

thanks
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Why does Deluge stop seeding all torrents when "Checking" a file?

Post by shamael »

Hi,

I think you figure out the problem, should be a disk IO issue. Considering you know the max IOPS/throughput of the concerned disk you can launch a perfmon during a torrent check to see if it hits the limits. A simple task manager > performance tab > resources monitor >disk can give you valuable info about the disk queue length in an easier way. Or move the torrent to be checked to another drive and move it back to default torrent location afterward.
bengalih

Re: Why does Deluge stop seeding all torrents when "Checking" a file?

Post by bengalih »

shamael wrote:Hi,

I think you figure out the problem, should be a disk IO issue. Considering you know the max IOPS/throughput of the concerned disk you can launch a perfmon during a torrent check to see if it hits the limits. A simple task manager > performance tab > resources monitor >disk can give you valuable info about the disk queue length in an easier way. Or move the torrent to be checked to another drive and move it back to default torrent location afterward.
No - I don't think this is it. As I stated, when creating a new file, the seeding speed doesn't decrease. I am 95% sure that the disk I/O required to create a new torrent is essentially the same as the disk I/O used to check a torrent - if not exactly the same.

Additionally, I have two instances of Deluged running site by side (one to utilize proxy connections and one not). When instance 1 is "checking" then all of the torrents in instance 1 stop seeding, but all the torrent in instance 2 continue as normal.

This would indicate 100% that it isn't a "real" I/O issue, but rather something that Deluge is doing.

Additionally, it looks like it *might* only affect torrents which are in "Seeding" status. Meaning if Torrent A is leeching and Torrent B is seeding and I add a new Torrent C - when C begins "checking" only Torrent B's upload speed is affected, not Torrent A. I'm not 100% sure on this part as I don't have enough of a control test yet - but I'm pretty sure about the rest of it.