Can't connect Deluge thin client after Win10 refresh

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Racxie
New User
New User

Can't connect Deluge thin client after Win10 refresh

Post by Racxie »

I recenty refreshed Windows 10 (a bit like a factory reset but keeps your documents/some files) and re-installed Deluge.

Once I've entered the details into the connection manager, the status shows as red and the "Start local daemon" button is greyed out.

I've tried restarting Deluge on my Debian server as well as changing the active port and mirroring that in the client but the button is still greyed out and it won't connect (had no problems prior to refresh).

I've also ensured that "allow_remote" is set to "true" and that the auth file contains my login details. I can access the server via WinSCP as well as ping it so there's no issues with the server running.

The 'ps aux | grep deluge' command shows that deluge is running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've scoured Google and asked on Reddit without any luck.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Can't connect Deluge thin client after Win10 refresh

Post by shamael »

What tells the deluged log on the Debian server? Can you connect the daemon with deluge-console on the server itself?
The webui is available?
Racxie
New User
New User

Post by Racxie »

I'm not sure where the log file is/how to access it? I've just installed the Web UI but can't connect (status says offline/start daemon button is greyed out).
Installed and ran deluge-console but get the error "Failed to connect to <host:port> with reason: Connection refused" - I tried both the default host & port as well as the server's IP and port I had changed it to but all the connections were refused.

I quit the console and the command line displayed the following:

Code: Select all

Unhandled error in Deferred:
Unhandled Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
Failure: twisted.internet.error.ConnectionRefusedError: Connection was refused by other side: 111: Connection refused.
Although I did install the WebUI on a different server with the help of a friend and installed the thin client myself at least a year ago, I'm not very proficient with Linux or Deluge so sorry if I'm asking some basic questions!
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Is the Debian server configured as mentioned in the wiki on this side? Various setup can be made to install Deluge so first we have to figure out what's yours (systemV or systemD startup config etc).

I'm not sure so prefer to ask: did you started the deluge-console command on the Debian server? The goal is to connect from an SSH session to the local daemon assuming it works. Do not forget the command need to be run with the same user as the daemon to be able to access it if the wiki was followed. for example, always with the wiki in mind:

Code: Select all

sudo -u deluge deluge-console
if deluge is the correct user

Assuming the deluge-console is able to connect on the server we know Deluge's daemon is working. The second test is the web access, independent from your windows refresh. Review your setup on the Debian server first and assume it works, then tou can take care of the remote access
Racxie
New User
New User

Post by Racxie »

As far as I know it is. I haven't changed anything since it was working apart from the active port, and when I tried comparing the settings to the Wiki I couldn't see anything different.

I'm not sure if mine is SystemV or SystemD, all I can say is that I followed the guidd for installing it on Debian Jessie.

My laptop OS is Windows which has the Thin Client installed, and the server is Debian Jessie which has Deluge installed - I installed the deluge-console on the server and that's where I was getting the errors above.

The user on the server is the same username I have on the thin client, but I just tried your command with my username and I still get the connection refused status.

Might it be worth me uninstalling Deluge on the server and starting again from fresh? Assuming I won't lose my files that way, although I guess I would need to re-add them to carry on being apart of the seed pool? Unless there's a way to uninstall it while keeping that information.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

With Debian Jessie systemd is in use, so I suppose you followed this wiki http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... ce/systemd for the startup of the daemon. The files manually created contain the log location. If you didn't make this part of the setup, you still can.

The user to access the webui/gtk is defined in the auth file, but the daemon on the server can run with a dedicated user. My example was given with the user created in the procedure in the link above. You can check the user with the command.

The Debian Jessie section of the wiki has been upgraded recently. To save your current torrent you only have to keep safe the state located in the user's profile of the daemon. However it seems you don't have a clear picture of your actual setup on the server. Grabbing the info to now how to launch a debug session and how is the daemon launched will be more productive even if you decide to upgrade afterward.
Racxie
New User
New User

Post by Racxie »

That article doesn't look familiar, but I'm glad you mention it's changed as I thought it all seemed different from when I set it up. I'll give that a go and report back.

I'll definitely try as I would like to learn, but if I really struggle then I might just try starting from fresh this time.
Racxie
New User
New User

Post by Racxie »

I've just gone through the systemd guide and I had previously created my user with full access, and had created the deluged.service file granting full access. I created a deluge-web.service file as that didn't exist yet, and ensured both were running/active by checking the status.

I'm still unsure if I have a log created, but unlikely as I dont quite understand the instructions give (on the page you linked under the "Logging" heading.

I tried both the thin client and the web UI and neither will still connect or allow me to start the daemon/I get a red status.

Unless I can fix this somehow, I'm getting the impression it'd just be easier to back up the torrent files & do a fresh install if you can help me with that? (Hopefully I'll be fine setting it up again, just unsure how to backup & uinstall on linux/debian. Unless you think you can still help me figure out how to fix it.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

in the services if you added the "-L" option as described for the logging, you should have logs located in /var/log/deluge/

Keep in mind the daemon Deluged is now started by systemd, meaning the configuration is now in the .config/deluge in the home folder of the user created. Is the right core.conf file modified to allow remote connection? to be sure to expose all possible file try
sudo find / -iname core.conf

If you have torrents seeding and want to keep them, you only have to backup the "state" folder in a safe place and put its content back after the new installation. The installation procedure for Debian is updated in the wiki, not a big deal, and you know where to find the systemd config if you want to recreate this part too (not mandatory). Drop down your question if you have any specific issue :)
Racxie
New User
New User

Post by Racxie »

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, I've been a bit busy with other things.

I wasn't having much luck with trying to fix it, so I took your advice and made a backup of the state folder & files like you suggested and uninstalled Deluge (with the help of a friend). Not being as used to Linux as I am to Windows I don't think I was able to remove everything but I removed what I could. I re-installed Deluge but then other things took up my time before I had a chance to go through the setup.

I've just gone throught the setup process & have now managed to get it to work! So even though I resorted to a reinstall in the end, I appreciate your efforts in attempting to help me. You've been very helpful & patient throughout so thank you :)

Edit: Oh and I don't think the official guide is as user friendly as it used to be, though that could just be me. I found it easy the first time I ever did it especially with everything being in one place, but this time it was a bit harder to follow.