Deluge Hangs on Launch - Fastresume File Corrupted?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
pchc_lx

Deluge Hangs on Launch - Fastresume File Corrupted?

Post by pchc_lx »

Deluge will hang on launch, every time, unable to use (greyed-out interface, no error message) and needs to be force killed. Deleting /state/torrents.fastresume (occasionally/possibly torrents.state file as well/instead) fixes and allows Deluge to be launched. All torrents need to be re-checked at this point.

Deluge also freezes & dies after 2-5 days of run time- memory leak? Attempting to restart after this point leads to above launch error. Rinse & repeat.

This has been the case for me across multiple clean Deluge installations / OS installations / drive formats / hardware swaps / all use cases & fix attempts for over a year. Currently Ubuntu 16.10 w/ 8GB RAM. Only thing I can think of is I do not have a swap partition? Getting a little frustrating !
yeyeoke
New User
New User

Re: Deluge Hangs on Launch - Fastresume File Corrupted?

Post by yeyeoke »

I'm having the exact same issue, but I would suspect that it isn't because of a memory leak as my session also fails after about 2-3 days and I have 24 GB RAM. Also on Ubuntu 16.10. No error in logs what so ever.

Edit: And I do have a swap partition.
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy! Been struggling with this for a long time.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

There is not enough information here to provide assistance. Have you tried running deluge as a thinclient to isolate the UI interface from the daemon? Have you tried to get a gdb trace?
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Just now on restart this is Deluge (attached).

Deleting fastresume allows it to open. All torrents now re-checking.
Deluge was closed politely on last run, by me clicking X and then manually restarting the machine.

Every time, 100% reproducible on my machine.

Would be happy to attempt debugging / investigation things if given instruction.
Attachments
deluge.png
deluge.png (90.16 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Cas wrote:Have you tried running deluge as a thinclient to isolate the UI interface from the daemon? Have you tried to get a gdb trace?
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

I have never been able to successfully set up the thinclient mode without issue- however I can say this is not just a UI hang; the torrents are definitely not seeding up or down as viewable by stats on tracker sites & connectable status etc etc.

I do not know how to do a gdb backtrace, I would be willing to try if given some simple instruction.
I could also upload my fastresume file next time this happens. Definitely up for trying to help here.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

What libtorrent version are you using? Can you test with libtorrent from ppa.
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Code: Select all

deluge --version
deluge: 1.3.13
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/deluge/_libtorrent.py:59: RuntimeWarning: to-Python converter for boost::shared_ptr<libtorrent::alert> already registered; second conversion method ignored.
  import libtorrent as lt
libtorrent: 1.1.0.0
I see here https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/releases that there seems to be a newer version of libtorrent, though I don't see a PPA.
I do have http://ppa.launchpad.net/deluge-team/ppa/ubuntu in my software sources and apt-get update/upgrade is all current.
Apologies if I'm being slow but how can I install the newer version of libtorrent?

Thanks!
yeyeoke
New User
New User

Post by yeyeoke »

Cas wrote:
Cas wrote:Have you tried running deluge as a thinclient to isolate the UI interface from the daemon? Have you tried to get a gdb trace?
This is exactly what I am doing, running it as a thinclient. I've tried to connect with different computers and also the Web-UI (which is running on the same machine as deluge and points to 127.0.0.1 but it also fails.)

I'm a bit unsure of how to get the libtorrent version, but according to the documentation I should run: python -c "from deluge._libtorrent import lt; print lt.version"

which returns 1.1.0.0.