Can someone explain this aberrant upload behavior?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
bengalih

Can someone explain this aberrant upload behavior?

Post by bengalih »

So I am running Deluge 1.3.13 and have a very strange issue with upload I can't explain.

I am connecting to a private tracker and seeding about a dozen torrents to this tracker.
No other torrents are active other than these.

I have my upload cap set to 800 KiB/s and at times that is close to being maxed (I have generally about 2-5 leechers at a time currently).

As we speak I have one torrent with a leecher who is getting about 40 KiB/s download from me - we will call them "Alpha".
There are two other torrents with active seeders - one with also ~40 KiB/s and the other with about 5-10 KiB/s.
Well under the maximum.

To help ensure that my client is configured correctly and I can upload with fast speeds, I used my 4G on my phone to download a 4th torrent that I am seeding (that currently has no seeders).

As soon as I start my download from my 4G, I get upwards of 600-700 KiB/s within about 20 seconds of starting the leech.

None of the above seems that strange, as my other 3 leechers may simply have slow connections and not be able to leech beyond 40 KiB/s.

However, as soon as I start my leech over my 4G, Alpha's speeds steadily climb upwards of 150-200 KiB/s and remain high until I stop leeching the 4th torrent.

I can recreate this behavior on demand:
Stop my leech, they slowly fall back to about 40, begin my leech they quickly climb back to around 200 again.

I simply can't understand why me downloading an unrelated torrent would cause another leecher to increase speeds so dramatically.
Nothing I know about how torrents work should describe this - but surely there is something I don't know.

Can anyone give a possible reason?
bengalih

Re: Can someone explain this aberrant upload behavior?

Post by bengalih »

Any ideas folks?

I experienced this again today - had two torrents seeding to a private tracker.

One was going at about 250 KiB/s, the other was going at about 500 KiB/s.

I decided to pause the second torrent to allow more bandwidth for the first one. As soon as I paused it, the transfer speeds on the first steadily dropped to about 45 KiB/s and have stayed there for hours.

I just restarted Deluge and that torrent/peer just reconnected and is downloading at almost 400 KiB/s.

This isn't coincidence, too many times I'm seeing one torrent negatively affected by another torrent stopping, or positively affected by starting another one. I've also seen this where one or two peers are downloading a couple torrents at slow speeds and then a restart of Deluge allows them to both connect at much higher speeds.

Even if these were connection limit issues, etc - one would expect the exact opposite behavior.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

You could try using the ltconfig plugin to modify some settings or possibly try one of the presets. You will probably have to experiment to see what settings work best for you.
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

Shryp wrote:You could try using the ltconfig plugin to modify some settings or possibly try one of the presets. You will probably have to experiment to see what settings work best for you.
I appreciate the effort - but that isn't much of a response. I really like the features of Deluge - but if basic performance can't be had with out of the box configurations, then it isn't really worth using.

I don't need to be a dumb, just click it and go user - but it is really ridiculous to expect a user to spend literally days or weeks reading the libtorrent documentation and just randomly trying options not even knowing if they are implemented correctly. I've already spent hours looking at these settings, reading bug reports, etc and I am no closer to determining what a root cause might be.

So far, with most Deluge problems that I see posted that don't have any adequate explanations, most users solve these by switching to qBitTorrent or similar.

I think that's the point I'm at here, although I really hate to do it - there just doesn't seem to be the support and development on this project anymore. They say beggars can't be choosers - and therefore I can't complain about the status since I am not a contributor, but I can choose to more to another program.

Perhaps this isn't an issue with Deluge at all and I will find this problematic with other clients - or perhaps a new release will come out (with friendly libtorrent updates for Windows users?) and I will be back.

I really like what Deluge is trying to be - I just wish there was better support from the people who can speak in more than generalities.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

hi,

I can figure out your frustration, I had to dig around for my own setup. But It worth the effort for me. Let's make it short: if you have a minute to try the advise from Shryp I guess you should be happy with the result. You haven't to dig the libtorrent configuration, simply add the itconfig plugin to the gtk client and select the performance preset. Not a big deal ;). If the change is noticable we can go on and point you 2/3 things about this preset you have to take care about (following your HW).