Deluge won't start, fresh install.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
pchc_lx

Deluge won't start, fresh install.

Post by pchc_lx »

Deluge will not start, for the past week or so.

Ubuntu 16.10
Deluge 1.3.13

At first the problem was Deluge would not start at all. Starting Deluge by launching the program via app icon or terminal would give me, at best, a spinning wheel for a few moments, then nothing. Oftentimes just nothing.

Tried removing deluge, purging deluge and all related packages, reinstalling etc.

With fresh install same behaviour. Fixed when deleting the .config/deluge/ folder and allowing it to create fresh config. All good.

After slowly rebuilding my settings / labels / plugins, I'm back to crashing. Now the UI will load for a moment, showing no torrents or labels, freeze, then 'grey out' frozen permanently.

Launching from terminal will give me this output:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/deluge/_libtorrent.py:59: RuntimeWarning: to-Python converter for boost::shared_ptr<libtorrent::alert> already registered; second conversion method ignored.
  import libtorrent as lt
[ERROR   ] 11:00:10 preferencesmanager:502 Unable to load geoip database!
[ERROR   ] 11:00:10 preferencesmanager:503 'session' object has no attribute 'load_country_db'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/deluge/core/preferencesmanager.py", line 500, in _on_geoip_db_location
    self.session.load_country_db(str(geoip_db))
AttributeError: 'session' object has no attribute 'load_country_db'
Something in the config folder seems to be hanging the launch? But I don't know.

This machine's purpose is essentially 90% for just handling torrents, so it's pretty frustrating to have so many issues with Deluge.

I've had issues in the past with Deluge not autostarting on machine reboots, and other things. However, no other torrent clients have the configurability I need with custom labels, download directories & etc. Would love to get it working.

At the point where I'm considering wiping the SSD, fresh installing Ubuntu, fresh installing Deluge. Any other suggestions appreciated...

Happy to try things & post logs if anyone can give some pointers.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge won't start, fresh install.

Post by Cas »

Those are logged errors and can be ignored.

You will need to narrow down which conf file is causing the issue.
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Hi Cas, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I went through and found out that the session.state file was preventing Deluge from opening, and deleting it allowed it to pop right up with no problems.

I don't know exactly what this file does, but I have a theory as to what could be going on. I have had a crontab job on this machine automating a nightly restart- perhaps it's not closing Deluge politely but killing the process in some way that corrupts the session and breaks things. This is absolutely a shot in the dark as I'm not a developer, but I don't know. I've commented out that cronjob for now, here's the line in case it's useful

#00 6 * * * sudo reboot # JOB_ID_1
If this isn't to blame, any idea what is? Things are working now but would love to know how to properly view logs and troubleshoot if this continues to be an issue. Thanks-
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Could you attach the problem session.state. It shouldn't fail to start if it's corrupted so I'd be interested to see what's going on.
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Hey thanks again for the response. Sadly the way I determined this being a problem filed was by deleting it..
However, I did make a full backup of the deluge .config folder a few days ago earlier into my issues. Here's the session.state file from then, if it's any help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1iu37ntja760 ... state?dl=0

I'd be happy to send along any other files from this point, however my current Deluge config is now working so I'd only have these older files with any possible relevance.
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Sorry to bump an old post but I'm back to having issues again. Same old crash-on-launch / fail to open. No error message, no GUI, just a spinning wheel then nothing. Sometimes a Deluge process will be left in the System Monitor, oftentimes not. Removing files / plugins / combinations thereof don't seem to help.

Figured I'd upload my full deluge folder in case it can help. Would love to figure out why this always seems to happen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwbh9t45t0a9d ... ge.7z?dl=0

Probably unrelated, but since disabling a nightly reboot, I'm also encountering the original bug that pushed me to do the nightly reboots- Deluge will fully freeze allowing no up/down transfer after about 48-36hrs of ontime. Annoying since I like to leave things running in a hands-off "seedbox" style use- but can't really do it unless I automate shutdowns and startups to avoid this freeze.

My specs in case they help:

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.8.0-36-generic
Uptime: 6m
Packages: 2583
Shell: bash 4.3.46
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: Unity 7.5.0
WM: Compiz
WM Theme: Ambiance
GTK Theme: Ambiance [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: ubuntu-mono-dark
Font: Ubuntu 11
CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 CPU @ 3.5GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
RAM: 1906MiB / 7926MiB
[/size]
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Are you leaving deluged running continuously? Or the deluge gtk client?
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Thanks for the reply. I run the Deluge client by launching from the pinned launcher icon. To be honest I am a little unsure of the difference or what the two mean, apologies.
Cpucino1
New User
New User

Post by Cpucino1 »

I see it's been over a year since a reply has been posted regarding this issue. Started having this problem this morning. Renamed/removed all files in the AppData\Roaming\deluge folder, but I cannot get it to boot - the window appears, all frames are blank, then a few seconds later the whole window goes blank and the dreaded (Not Responding) appears next to the app title. I've installed the Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package, no luck. I was able to get it to work after logging in under a different profile, but I'd really rather not have to rebuild my configuration and torrents in another profile. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
pchc_lx

Post by pchc_lx »

Hey Cpucino1, for what it's worth my issue was on Ubuntu.
That being said I do still have unresolved issues with Deluge but have more or less just accepted them