Making sure I'm "connectable"??

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
seanvree@hotmail.com

Making sure I'm "connectable"??

Post by seanvree@hotmail.com »

So, I'm seeding about 30 torrents at any given time from both private and public trackers, but I rarely get any uploading time.

I'm using Deluge, and none of the torrents are "erroring", but I'm wondering if peers can actually connect to me. In addition, I DON'T have the "no incoming connections" error.

Using a VPN, I've ensured that I've specified inbound and outbound ports and I can test active port with successful results. I've designated ports 6100-6200 for incoming and 6200-6300 for outbound. I've also disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP.

Is there a good solution to make sure my settings are right?

One other question that may be related - if I look at my trackers they all have a port defined at the end of the address: xxx.xxx.com:"port" is this the port that peers are trying to connect to my machine? If so, shouldn't that port be within the range that I designated above? (6100-6200?)

Thanks,
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Making sure I'm "connectable"??

Post by gderf »

You might want to read this and stop all port forwarding.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/f ... forwarding
seanvree@hotmail.com

gderf wrote:You might want to read this and stop all port forwarding.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/f ... forwarding
Humm...I'm not sure I agree with all this. Despite that, I'm using Torguard. I am an advanced user and wouldn't want to run Deluge with not specifying ports. That's just me tho.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

I run with Torguard, but the Socks5 proxy not the VPN. I don't specify any ports at all - don't have to, don't need to, and it wouldn't use them anyway if I did.

I do have the "No Incoming Connections! thing showing, but that is meaningless in the context of using a proxy. More often than not I have several dozen peers/seeds connected.

I pay only for the Torguard proxy, but the VPN works with the same credentials. You might want to try the using the Socks5 proxy.
seanvree@hotmail.com

gderf wrote:I run with Torguard, but the Socks5 proxy not the VPN. I don't specify any ports at all - don't have to, don't need to, and it wouldn't use them anyway if I did.

I do have the "No Incoming Connections! thing showing, but that is meaningless in the context of using a proxy. More often than not I have several dozen peers/seeds connected.

I pay only for the Torguard proxy, but the VPN works with the same credentials. You might want to try the using the Socks5 proxy.
Yeah, people keep saying this. I haven't used the Proxy. So, I don' t need to connect to the VPN if I'm using the proxy, correct?
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

Correct, you don't need the VPN if you use the proxy. But it would probably still work if you used both at the same time. Might slow the connection down though due to the extra crypto.

Whatever you do though, verify the IP address the trackers see by loading the checkMyTorrentIp.png torrent and check the Tracker Status on the status Tab.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

1. Don't use VPN and proxy, but one or the other. It's useless and can introduce issues and isn't recommended by pia, but only from people on other sites which are clueless. The socks proxy was added for scenarious where you only need proxying for a single application at a time or don't need encryption or if you have issues with the vpn/unsupported on platform. Pia recommends the vpn firstly over the proxy, also for torrenting. Personally I use the socks5 proxy for torrenting though.

2. No incoming connections is OK for torrenting, because you can still upload to peers, but only from peers you've connected too. In other p2p protocols then no incoming connections means no uploading, but that's not the case with the bittorrent protocol however. Adding port-forvarding on vpn will help you get more peers to download/upload from, because you accept incoming-connections also, which isn't possible through proxy. Well, not entirely true, as incoming connections is possible through pex/dht, as the udp mapped port is mapped on the proxy, but not for tcp connections(TCP BIND is problematic for this and wasen't designed for such usage).

3. Using a vpn only for torrenting-needs is pretty much overkill imho(compared to using a proxy), except if being throttled, but encryption can be enabled too in the torrent-client. However, a VPN is often preferred, because if you have a kill-switch in place, or binding to interface/ip in client and which isn't buggy(test it!), then it will work perfectly for masking your ip, but using a socks5 proxy will only work perfectly for masking ip if the client supports not enabling any connections outside proxy when it's down and not leaking your ip through dht etc. Deluge isn't safe for proxy usage by default, as it's backend libtorrent reverts to regular connection when the proxy is down. If using deluge with a proxy you need to add the ltconfig plugin and enable the libtorrent setting 'force_proxy'. Also, it would be good to enable 'anonymous_mode' also, since that will further protect your privacy by removing user-agent and scrubbing IP from tracker announces etc. Later versions of utorrent are fine and qbittorrent also, if having enabled the privacy options correctly in main interface.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

I am using deluged 1.3.13 with libtorrent 0.15.10.0 on Openmediavault 2.2.7 which is debian wheezy based. Does not seem possible to upgrade libtorrent any further as python-libtorrent package is being held back.

In ltconfig plugin 'force_proxy' and 'anonymous_mode' are not available options.

The only way I can see to simulate the proxy going down is to change the proper proxy host name to something bogus. In this case deluge does not revert to a regular connection, it just does not connect at all to anything AFAIK.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hi gderf :)

Hmm, I must admit I don't know when force_proxy and anonymous_mode where introduced, but yeah I believe it was around 0.16 for anonymous_mode. It can be looked up though.

First, Arvid added anonymous_mode, which included "force_proxy functionality". Later he splitted the "kill-switch-for-proxy" behaviour off from anonymous_mode into another seperate setting i.e. force_proxy, so that e.g. vpn users could also use the privacy functions of anonymous_mode too. If using a libtorrent version with only anonymous_mode and no force_proxy setting available, then you don't need force_proxy as it's already included in anonymous_mode. Hmm, it's strange to me that you have an older libtorrent without even anonymous_mode and then still has "proxy-killswitch-functionality". Yes, I always test it with e.g. deleting a character from my password or username and see if it still downloads and I restart just to make sure setting is taking effect.

Arvid stated that without anonymous_mode/force_proxy enabled, he made the proxy behaviour to be able to keep going on proxy-errors/disconnects because so many proxies didn't support udp correctly or fully, and hence instead of failing completelly very often for users, then he let it still work anyway. He must then have only let it do that by default after introducing annonymous_mode/force_proxy it seems, but atleast currently, with the last several versions of libtorrent, then it works as I stated. I also have mailed with him and gotten it confirmed btw + ofcourse tested it myself, like i did too with qbittorrent-nox and utorrent-server...

EDIT: I just tested this again, with a popular linux distro and deleting last character from username on all proxy settings and disabling force_proxy as per by default deluge behaviour, and downloading hapilly continues meaning no proxy used and my own ip used/broadcasted. Latest stable deluge and libtorrent(v1.1.1). I have tested with the recommended libtorrent previously(v1.0.9) with exact same result so didn't wanted to do that again. I mainly tested this again because I thought off that I haden't tested with latest deluge version, only the previous version, so just to make sure that deluge didn't hardcoded force_proxy by itself, but nope, still the same issue, which I also was pretty sure about already since else they would have added a config setting for it in the preferences dialog.

EDIT2: I looked through my old arvid mails and here's a little line from one, about anonymous_mode/force_proxy:

"[...] is that it will make sure that when a proxy is set but it's failing (either by being down or not supporting certain features), libtorrent won't fall back to circumvent it, but it will just fail closed."

Also he added anonymous_mode in 0.16 and later splitted it into two; anonymous_mode and force_proxy.

Also a quote found online:

"arvidn:
libtorrent 0.16.x has a setting called "anonymous_mode". The name is unfortunately a bit misleading. What it does is essentially the same thing as the uTorrent settings: "disable features that leak identifying information" and "disable connections unsupported by the proxy".
In a future release of libtorrent, the setting will be split up into two separate ones, just like uTorrent."

Both anonymous_mode and force_proxy is disabled by default, as both can be read from the libtorrent api docs and by checking it with ltconfig plugin.
markpeo
New User
New User

Post by markpeo »

Hi guys,

An old topic I know, but was still very helpful to me. Following the instructions my my proxy provider (nordVPN) I was able to get my Socksv5 proxy setup and working, but download speed was very slow. To get my speeds back to normal, I used the port they said to use (1080) in the proxy settings in the Incoming Ports settings (From: 1080 to: 1080) also. I have no port forwading enabled and checked my ip address with ipmagnet and looks ok. Just looking for confirmation that setting the incoming port to 1080 was the correct and safe thing to do.