[Solved] Trying to setup a client/server connection on my LAN

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
dinaiz
New User
New User

[Solved] Trying to setup a client/server connection on my LAN

Post by dinaiz »

Ok guys, I'm pretty new to Deluge. I first ran deluge on my computer, then I realised that it would be better to run it on my Synology NAS, so I can restart and stop my computer without interrupting my downloads.

So,

- first I installed deluge on my nas thanks to the synology community package. It works, it can download torrents and stuff and control it using http://192.168.bla.bla:8112/. I'm Very happy.
- next I checked allow remote connections on daemon page of the settings. I also created an auth file using echo "<username>:<password>" >> ~/.config/deluge/auth
- back on my windows machine, I unchecked "classic view" (or whatever it's called in english....using the french version here), disabled my windows firewall, opened the connection manager and entered, full of hope 192.168.bla.bla, <username> and <password> but...the icon remained red and I couldn't connect to deluge on my nas :(
- I shut down deluge and ran "c:\program files (x86)\Deluge\deluge-debug.exe" -L debug -l "%UserProfile%\Desktop\deluge.log"....but no info in it ! Actually after the logs during the initilaization of Deluge, nothing is written in the file. On the server side, I have no idea how deluge was launched to be honest ... so I have no idea either of where to find the logs.

Do you have an idea of what I'm doing wrong ??
Last edited by dinaiz on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shryp

Re: [Noob] Trying to setup a client/server connection on my LAN

Post by Shryp »

You might need to disable classic mode on the NAS as well.
dinaiz
New User
New User

Post by dinaiz »

I don't have this option in deluge on my NAS. I suspect it installs the deluge deamon only (with a fancy guy), because on my windows client, daemon options are greyed out while they are not on my deluge server !
dinaiz
New User
New User

Post by dinaiz »

In other words, what I'd like to see is the deluge on my NAS logs !
Ideally, something like "Connection from <my PC client> rejected because <some reason>"
dinaiz
New User
New User

Post by dinaiz »

Ok I found the solution.

I didn't set the correct auth file. For those using synology NAS, here is the solution :

1) Go to package manager. Double click on deluge. Then click on show log.
You will have the REAL logs. You should find a line starting with "BadLoginError" .

Of course you've set all the auth files correctly so why does this happen ? Because you probably didn't set the correct auth file !

2) Use putty, connect to your nas, and run the following command : find / 2> /dev/null -name "auth"

- run "find /" looks for all the files from the root directory and it's subdirectories
- 2> /dev/null removes all the errors like the ones you get when you can't access a given file or directory (better than running find as root as it's not needed)
- -name "auth" is self-explanatory

3) You should find plenty of results and amonst them : /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/auth
That's the one deluge uses !

Just run : "sudo cat /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/auth", type your password and you'll see something like localclient:<random string of chars>:10
(You need sudo because this file belongs to the root user)

4) Your user name is localclien and your password is the random string of characters !

And you're done. I hope it will help someone

Cheers
dlowe

Post by dlowe »

dinaiz wrote:Ok I found the solution.

I didn't set the correct auth file. For those using synology NAS, here is the solution :

1) Go to package manager. Double click on deluge. Then click on show log.
You will have the REAL logs. You should find a line starting with "BadLoginError" .

Of course you've set all the auth files correctly so why does this happen ? Because you probably didn't set the correct auth file !

2) Use putty, connect to your nas, and run the following command : find / 2> /dev/null -name "auth"

- run "find /" looks for all the files from the root directory and it's subdirectories
- 2> /dev/null removes all the errors like the ones you get when you can't access a given file or directory (better than running find as root as it's not needed)
- -name "auth" is self-explanatory

3) You should find plenty of results and amonst them : /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/auth
That's the one deluge uses !

Just run : "sudo cat /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/auth", type your password and you'll see something like localclient:<random string of chars>:10
(You need sudo because this file belongs to the root user)

4) Your user name is localclien and your password is the random string of characters !

And you're done. I hope it will help someone

Cheers
I had to do one more step to get this to work on my Synology. Here is an updated rewrite of dinaiz's solution for the Synology (may work for other NAS).

1) Use putty, connect to your Synology (or NAS) and run the following command: sudo cat /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/auth
- enter your password and you should get a result in the form of localclient:<random string of chars>:10 similar to: localclient:3e65eff431a1cb44685abf534dfdb4bf13e4d898ddd:10

2) Next we need to allow remote access. Run: sudo vi /volume1/@appstore/deluge/var/core.conf
-enter your password then move the cursor to "allow_remote": false, (mine was at line 19). Vi is is not user friendly so pay close attention.

a) Put the cursor over "f" then press s. This will enter edit mode and deletes the highlighted character for some reason.
b) Press Del\Delete key to delete the rest of false the type true so the line looks like allow_remote": true,
c) Press ESC to exit edit mode
d) Type the following to save and close :wq! and press enter.

3) Restart Deluge on the Synology (or NAS)

4) Setup the client connection. Your username is localclient and your password is the random string of characters (do not include :10)
Example:
Hostmame: 192.168.1.168 Port: 58846
Username: localclient
Password: 3e65eff431a1cb44685abf534dfdb4bf13e4d898ddd
djhifi

Re: [Solved] Trying to setup a client/server connection on my LAN

Post by djhifi »

For those who will need, I leave a link to the tutorial I followed and have everything working OK on my Synology.
Just dont check the telnet box. It is not needed and I have no idea why its suggested in the video. All other steps, follow them and everything will be working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrLwIao9kXs
MonoTovarisj
New User
New User

Post by MonoTovarisj »

I am soooo close, I have the daemon working, webui is working, I can run the thin client, and the thin client can see the daemon running at the correct ip address.

But I just can't seem to login, tried changing the passwd in auth and so on, restarted the daemon a million times. Is there any 2024 issues I should be aware of?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Allow_remote=true in core.conf(or use UIs) needed on daemon end profile(when not using default localclient login from localhost and same user client/daemon). Restart deluged, and try again. (user/pass on daemon end profile auth)