Very quick question about Deluge Daemon

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
COmputoman
New User
New User

Very quick question about Deluge Daemon

Post by COmputoman »

Hey there guys, I have a quick and simple question. Hope you all can help.

I have just installed deluge on my debian 8 (jessie) machine using the simple apt-get install deluge command.

When I went to go set it up as a service using the instructions here (http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... buntuInitd) I noticed that there was already an init.d script setup, and a user had been created (debian-deluged) to run the software. I also noticed that the config files had been placed in /var/lib/deluged/config . I went ahead and ditched my plan to create the init script and just enabled the existing one using the ENABLE_DELUGED=1 switch in /etc/default/deluged. Is it normal for deluge to create the user and setup the service? What is the link above for if Deluge does it automatically? Thanks for the advice!

-Ben
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Very quick question about Deluge Daemon

Post by Cas »

It's simply included in the Deluge package provided by debian.
COmputoman
New User
New User

Post by COmputoman »

Cas wrote:It's simply included in the Deluge package provided by debian.
I'm a bit of a Lunux novice, but are you saying that since I downloaded it from the Debian repositories it would include the startup service, whereas, the one provided here on the downloads page is more generic and if installed on a different flavour of linux, might need to be launched using a different method than init.d ? Thanks for the reply!

-Ben
bro
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by bro »

Startup services are distro dependent, so yes.
When reporting issues, please include any relevant information such as OS (and version), python version (for Windows users this depends on which Deluge installer was used), Deluge version and plugin version.
COmputoman
New User
New User

Post by COmputoman »

Awesome. That's all very straight forward and makes sense. One last question: how can I find the password for the user "debian-deluged" (which runs the daemon) that was created at install?
bro
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by bro »

You need to check the scripts that created the user on install.
When reporting issues, please include any relevant information such as OS (and version), python version (for Windows users this depends on which Deluge installer was used), Deluge version and plugin version.