Deluge slow to open torrent with many thousands of files

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
procyon
New User
New User

Deluge slow to open torrent with many thousands of files

Post by procyon »

Hello, I've been a Deluge user for years, and I usually enjoy it except for when I want to download one particular class of torrent. I am a MAME user, and I download the roms through torrents. The MAME rom torrent grows with each release, and as of the latest release, it is up to 29612 files. When I open such a torrent, the GUI is extremely slow to bring up the dialog which allows me to select a download destination. I'm talking on the order of 20-30 minutes. And I'm not talking about the file check which performs after I accept the destination directory, which I totally expect to be slow. I have no complaint about that. I simply don't understand what's taking place in order to bring up the dialog that let's me initiate the download that causes Deluge to be so slow.

Could I politely ask a developer to look into this issue? I don't find this behavior on other clients, but I don't like other clients as much as Deluge. I can live with initiating the torrent, and then walking away from my computer for half an hour, but perhaps there's a solution that could eliminate the problem altogether. Naturally I don't have this problem with torrent of small numbers of files, even a couple hundred isn't too bad (although there's a noticeable delay). But when it's up in the tens of thousands of files, the delay is substantial. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: My system information: Ubuntu 14.04, Core i7 @ 2.40GHz, 12 GB RAM, running Deluge 1.3.6
rmmh

Re: Deluge slow to open torrent with many thousands of files

Post by rmmh »

I opened ticket #2670 and submitted a pull request to fix this.
procyon
New User
New User

Post by procyon »

Thank you very much rmmh, I really appreciate it. Since I'm not familiar with deluge's release cycle, how soon do you suppose it will be until this is available for consumption? I looked at the branches in github, but the latest one was only updated 29 days ago, so I suppose I can't clone the repo and get the fix just yet.
P4P4N01S3

Post by P4P4N01S3 »

rmmh wrote:I opened ticket #2670 and submitted a pull request to fix this.
I hope this fix is going to be implemented soon - this issue is really the only reason hindering me from seeding my imageset torrents - they take hours to load, really :(

If Cas reads this: Is it possible to merge this soon? Could we see this fix in 1.3.16 hopefully? :o