Multiple deluged instances.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
typod
New User
New User

Multiple deluged instances.

Post by typod »

Hi.

I have a requirement to run 2 instances of deluge on a windows pc for a number of reasons but mainly to split the content, (insert your own joke here :)). I would like both to downloand and seed only the files loaded within them. Ideally i would like to manage them both via the web ui. Obviously both instances of deluged and the web ui would be on different ports.

Here is what i have done so far:

installed 2 copies of deluge in 2 different directories. One if these was the original one I had installed.
Copied the settings from the users dir to a new location, changed the port in the conf file to 58847
Ran nssm and added the details originally installed deluged-debug
Ran nssm from the newly installed deluge location and added the details of the newly installed deluged-debug and used the -c command pointing to the modified config.
Started both services and checked on netstat and could see both instances listening on their respective ports.
When running deluge-console for the respective directory both instances returned the same torrents.

I assumed I had a config error where I had just copied the settings so I backed up and removed them, recycled the service and it generated the new settings files. But now in deluge-console I just get a password error when both services are started. Stopping one seems to make the remaining instance work.

Am I trying to do something that just doesn't work? USing the daemon seems to be the logical way of doing this. Any pointers would be appreciated

Cheers
typod
New User
New User

Re: Multiple deluged instances.

Post by typod »

I could easily add a second ip to the server if that would help.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

typod
New User
New User

Post by typod »

Thanks. I did look at that article. But will run through it again in case i missed anything.
But at least I can assume that what I am doing is technically possible.
elgallo

Post by elgallo »

took me a while to get it sorted out. hopefully what I explain will make more sense than the wiki.

This is tested and ran on Ubuntu 16.04.1 server with ubuntu-desktop installed (though you shouldn't need a GUI to do this)

clean install deluged on Ubuntu, following the directions to install deluge here

The steps to run multiple deluged, thus being able to attach to multiple daemons (one at a time) from a single thinclient are covered here

however what I'm going to explain is the same but a little less technical

start a deluge daemon by typing
$deluged NOTE that the dollar sign $ is meant to specify everything after is typed in the commandline /bash/shell.

now kill the deluged process you just started, the purpose is to create a generic config for deluged
$killall deluged

open your preferred text editor, I use vim, but the point is to change the following files.
~/.config/deluge/auth
~/.config/deluge/core.conf

in the auth file you're going to ADD userName:passw0rd:10 to the second line. replacing userName with your username, passw0rd with your own unique password and 10 makes you an admin, allowing you to make other changes.

by editing the auth file, this allows you to connect to the daemon from another computer, not just on your LAN but from anywhere in the world. provided you know your servers ip and configure portforwarding correctly (you'll have to figure these out on your own) I suggest whatismyip.com and https://portforward.com/

now you're going to edit $~/.config/deluge/core.conf what you're going to change line 16 or 19 (if I'm not mistaken) allow remote from false to true

at this point I recommend running $deluged then opening up deluge GUI and connect with connection manager (you might have to go to preferences untick classic mode in Interface. reopen deluge connect to your daemon. install/enable plugins you intend to use. this will save you from having to do this for each instance, only having to edit the download/watch/move-complete locations

once you have the first instance configured the way you want, run $killall deluged

$cd
$cp -a ~/.config/deluge ~/.config/deluge1
this will of course copy all the contents of ~/.config/deluge into a new folder deluge1 into ~/.config folder. personally I have 17 total deluges using hexadecimal differentiate all my instances with deluge, deluge1, ... deluge0 ..delugeA ... delugeF.

choose one of the following methods to set your port for each instance.
  1. I took a further step and edited each ~/.config/core.conf changing the daemon port by 1 for each deluge1,2,3... folder.
    OR
  2. you can specify the port you want to use each time you start a daemon with $deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT# replacing ? with a character for the deluge config you want to use and change PORT# to a port number to connect to.

now you can make as many instances as you want startup on reboot in crontab with

$crontab -e and adding the following

$@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge?
again replacing ? with the letter/number you want to use. HOWEVER this method will only work if you changed each port number in core.conf

OTHERWISE use

$@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT1
@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT2
@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT3
@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT4
changing the deluge ? to a character and PORT# to an actual port number.

hope this helps. if you have any questions I'll do my best to help clear any confusion.