Peer Syncing

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
ionice

Peer Syncing

Post by ionice »

Hi,
sorry if this isn't posted to the correct forum - I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place.

I'm thinking of an idea to sync files from a seedbox to a local computer, and want to know if it's possible.
The idea I have is to somehow add a special peer arrangement between the seedbox and local computer.

Torrent swarm <----> Seedbox ----> Local box

The local box never contacts the torrent swarm and only ever downloads from the seedbox. Traditional methods, such as downloading via HTTP/FTP only work if whole files are complete - the idea of syncing through torrent is that pieces can be grabbed whilst the seedbox is still fetching the torrent.

So a few things would need to be done for this to work:
  1. Seedbox needs to specifically add the local box as a peer, where the local box only ever downloads from the seedbox (it shouldn't contact any tracker or use DHT/PEX)
  2. Local box peer needs to be treated rather specially:
    • it shouldn't be disconnected by the seedbox when doing peer management
    • it should always upload to the local box until the local box has the complete torrent, regardless of the upload ratio set on the seedbox. If the upload ratio is met but the local box doesn't have the complete torrent, the seedbox should only seed to the local box
    • ideally, uploading to the local box is prioritised above other peers
Ideally this is done via the torrent protocol (as opposed to some filesystem based block replication) so that multiple boxes can sync with each other.

Has anyone ever looked into this setup and is there any way of doing this? I'm guessing that #1 might be possible by explicitly specifying a DHT node? #2 sounds technically feasible from my understanding of how torrent works, but I suspect that it'd be difficult to do with current clients.

Thanks for reading.