Bug: Cannot specify unlimited maximum connection attempts

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
KoolAidPitcher
New User
New User

Bug: Cannot specify unlimited maximum connection attempts

Post by KoolAidPitcher »

Hi Deluge development team. I have been using the software for years, and recommend Deluge to all of my friends as the best open-source bittorrent client.

I wanted to let you know about a regression which began in Deluge 1.3.7.

How to reproduce:
In Preferences > Bandwidth set Maximum Connection Attempts per Second to -1.
Attempt to download a torrent, for example, this torrent of FreeBSD (http://www.gotbsd.net/).

You will never download anything because setting Maximum Connection Attempts per Second to -1 is apparently not working as an unlimited switch. My current workaround has been to set this value to 200 instead.

I would say this is a low priority issue; however, after upgrading from Deluge 1.3.6, my client stopped working and it took me a while to figure out why. This could lead to user confusion, as configurations which previously were working are no longer working properly.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Bug: Cannot specify unlimited maximum connection attempt

Post by Cas »

There is no difference in the deluge code between 1.3.6 and 1.3.7, the only change would be if you are using Windows (specifying the OS is in the posting requirements) because we moved from 0.15 to 0.16 libtorrent and this is the entry for connection_speed:
connection_speed is the number of connection attempts that are made per second. If a number < 0 is specified, it will default to 200 connections per second. If 0 is specified, it means don't make outgoing connections at all.
I don't know if it was different in 0.15 but that is how it works now and we should probably change the UI to prevent '-1' values.
KoolAidPitcher
New User
New User

Re: Bug: Cannot specify unlimited maximum connection attempt

Post by KoolAidPitcher »

I run Deluge on both Windows and CentOS (I compile libtorrent-rasterbar from source there); however, the system which I can easily reproduce the issue is indeed Windows. I will try experimenting with this value some more. Thanks!