running with deluge from source

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

running with deluge from source

Post by pjlbyrne »

So, I installed debian (stable) on my machine, and set up deluge. I discover that the version of deluge that comes with debian stable is rather old (eg it does not have the console command 'move' which was committed to deluge source 3 years ago) so I decide to try compiling deluge from source. I follow the instructions (which are very clear, thanks) but it turns out that the version of litborrent in debian stable is too old for deluged to start.

So, I have several options:
(1) put up with old deluge
(2) keep debian stable but upgrade just packages required to run 'head' deluge
(3) upgrade debian stable to testing

I am guessing that deluge developers use debian testing and that if I do that then will be able to compile, run, heck maybe even contribute to deluge head without embarking on a nightmare of custom package dependencies. Can someone please confirm if I am on the right track here?

Also, I don't suppose if someone can give their impression of how risky it is to try and upgrade a recent debian stable to testing? I know this is the deluge forum but I would appreciate some impressions about how to proceed. Linux user message boards appear to be full of people engaged in dreadful attempts to subvert package management systems, and it is a battle I would like to avoid altogether if possible.

Thanks
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Re: running with deluge from source

Post by pjlbyrne »

Also, what expectation do I have that I my torrent 'state' will load back into upgraded deluge?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Post by pjlbyrne »

I upgraded to debian testing in the end.