Auth file not being created

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
phenny
New User
New User

Auth file not being created

Post by phenny »

Hello, I've struggled with this problem for about a week now and google searching isn't getting me anywhere.

I've followed this guide as I'm unfamiliar with linux in all it's forms.
http://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to- ... rrent-box/

However nothing I do will encourage my pi to create this auth file that I need.
I know I need localclient:randomstring:10, my very first install it worked but I deleted it and put in my details because I didn't realise the localclient:etc:10 was necessary as well :'(
Since then I've purged and deleted deluge, reformatted my SD card twice and reinstalled/reconfigured everything to no avail.

Does anybody know how I can get the auth file to create itself OR what that random string of numbers is based on / sourced from so I can manually create the file myself?

Big thanks to anyone who can help.
I can provide extra details if they might help or I've forgotten something.
Ratanak
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Auth file not being created

Post by Ratanak »

If the auth file doesn't exist, Deluge will try to create one. Sounds like a write permission issue?

In any case, the random string is just a random sha1 digest. There may be better security in the future, but for right now it just seems to be a plain text password field.
phenny
New User
New User

Post by phenny »

I can create it myself and I sudo everything so it shouldn't be.

If it's sha1 does that mean I can't work around this issue at all?
I know some people have found the auth file elsewhere (/var/lib/deluge) but that directory doesn't exist for me so it can't be there...
Ratanak
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Ratanak »

No, it means put whatever you want in that field. It's just the plain text password for the local account. I think the SHA1 is just meant to protect from someone connecting remotely.
phenny
New User
New User

Post by phenny »

I fixed the issue, thanks for the explanation of what the random string was Ratanak.

My auth file was created in /root/.config/deluge/auth, it had my localclient info in it, however this wasn't the same directory as .config/deluge/auth.
For any linux noobs who have the same issue this thread http://forum.havetheknowhow.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=71
specifically The_Matrix's second last post will help locate the stupid auth file.
makakk88

Post by makakk88 »

phenny THANK YOU
I was searching for my auth file has well until I found your post. Thanks for taking the time to tell how you fixed it.

Solution when it's under the root directory:
Copy the file to the right .config/ directory (pi user)

Code: Select all

sudo su
cp /root/.config/deluge/auth /home/pi/.config/deluge
exit
Than you can go and edit the file

Additionnal step I had to get the daemon online:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 644 auth
and restart the daemon