Update deluge on Debian

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
trinity
New User
New User

Update deluge on Debian

Post by trinity »

Hi all!

I've been running Deluge on Debian 6.0.7 for a looong time and it's awesome.

The thing is I'm running the oldstable version, and therefore, can't use the newest windows console. When I run "aptitude versions deluged" it says:
1.2.3+git20110209.8c36830-0squeeze1 oldstable

I'd like to update it to a 1.3x version.

I tried to launch an "sudo aptitude -t unstable install deluge" after adding "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free" to sources.list
All I get is: "0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded." :(

Could anyone tell me how to update deluge to a more recent version? I searched on the forum but couldn't find anything relevant to Debian, and since changing the sources.list didn't do anything, I'm thinking there might be another way or something I'm not doing right.
Thanks a lot
ElectronicWar
New User
New User

Re: Update deluge on Debian

Post by ElectronicWar »

Even if you had a more recent version of Debian, you would still only get 1.3.2 via package management.

I just followed the Linux/Debian instructions to install it from source (it even includes a nice startscript):
http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Linux

It worked like a charm for me on a Raspberry Pi with Debian Wheezy.
As long as you can get the required libraries it should be possible to do this on your box as well.

Just remove all deluged packages and save your configs just in case before doing this.
trinity
New User
New User

Post by trinity »

Tanks for the tip.

Building from source worked like a charm :P
ernobe

Post by ernobe »

How does the Debian implementation differ from the original?

The current Debian maintainer appears to have separated the daemon from the various ui more so than in the original. In particular, it allows one to use the uis without having to enable remote connections on the daemon. I think this is part of the Debian way of doing things, for security reasons.

Anyway I won't go thru the trouble of compiling source unless I could keep it to the Debian way ( having it daemon based is already more in that direction than other bittorrent clients ).
ernobe

Post by ernobe »

Well I just compiled 1.3.6 on Debian sid, and here's a bug report:

Running deluge-console on the command line returns:
-bash: /usr/bin/deluge-console no such file or directory
Then running:
which deluge-console
returns:
/usr/local/bin/deluge-console
Must be deluge-console not setup to look into /usr/local/bin for itself. If I run deluge -u console, the console comes up OK.

Then running deluge -u gtk on the command line is OK except for the following:
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/deluge-1.3.6-py2.7.egg/deluge/ui/gtkui/torrentview.py", line 158, in cell_data_progress
textstr = textstr + " %.2f%%" % value

Running deluge -u web on the command line does nothing at all:
$ deluge -u web
_

Then I kill it with C-c. This happens with or without webui enabled in deluge-gtk.

Happily, I found a script for running the deluged in /etc/init.d and it seems to be working OK.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

ernobe wrote:deluge-console not setup to look into /usr/local/bin for itself
Installing from source will install in a different location from deb package unless you use "--install-layout=deb" as specified here: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Inst ... Installing
ernobe wrote: running deluge -u gtk on the command line
Are you trying to run the gtk application on a headless system?
ernobe wrote:Running deluge -u web on the command line does nothing at all
What else do you expect from this command? http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... WebUISetup
ernobe

Post by ernobe »

Cas wrote: Installing from source will install in a different location from deb package unless you use "--install-layout=deb" as specified here: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Inst ... Installing
Just to have it all setup like a regular Debian package, I re-installed with that option. Before the first install I had purged the Debian packages, but now notice that some of the 1.3.3 files are still around. I guess the dpkg --purge command does not work as expected. Will use the updatedb and locate commands next time.
Cas wrote: Are you trying to run the gtk application on a headless system?
No. I've never set-up a headless system so I'm not sure what kind of a setup you're talking about. I just ran the deluge -u gtk command on a terminal in an X session.
Cas wrote: What else do you expect from this command? http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... WebUISetup
Ok, ran deluge -u web then pointed the browser at localhost:8112 and the webui came up, but clicking on connect did nothing, perhaps because I have remote connections disabled in preferences. Not a problem.

Thanks!
ernobe

Post by ernobe »

I've looked at the code of the error mentioned previously and noticed it had something to do with the display of the progress column. So next time I ran deluge -u gtk I found that if I leave the progress column visible, next time the program is run there is no longer an error message. On the other hand if I exit the program with the progress column hidden, next time I run it the error shows up again on the command line.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Could you create a bug report for that and it can be looked into.
Daredee

Post by Daredee »

hi
I just installed deluge under debian chroot on my synology nas
it is 1.3.3 version
How to update it to 1.3.9?