Running multiple deluge instancies on a server

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
alekseevic
New User
New User

Running multiple deluge instancies on a server

Post by alekseevic »

Hi,
as explained in http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... ipt/Ubuntu I set up an ubuntu server with deluge. Now my question is: can I run multiple deluge daemons for different users? Now deluge scans just one shared directory for torrents and stores completed files in another shared directory.

The problem is that the init script looks just in /etc/default/deluge-daemon to retrieve the config directory (actually this is what I understood). I was able to create different deluge users and launch more than one daemon (not a big deal indeed), but no way on telling them which configuration they must use.

Thanks a lot for your help.

EDIT: forgot some infos: ubuntu server 10.4; deluge 1.3.1.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Running multiple deluge instancies on a server

Post by Cas »

if you look at the man pages for deluged you can set the config location with '-c' or '--config'
alekseevic
New User
New User

Post by alekseevic »

Maybe I understood right now what the --config option actually does.
It tells the daemon to look for another /etc/default/deluge-daemon file. In which I'll put the name of the second user. Is it correct?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

alekseevic wrote:It tells the daemon to look for another /etc/default/deluge-daemon file. In which I'll put the name of the second user. Is it correct?
No that user is the Linux user with which to run deluge daemon under.

The config location defaults to ~/.config/deluge/ so if you are running multiple deluged you need to specify a different location. This will enable you to change the port it is running on and other settings as well as specify a thinclient user in ~/.config/deluge/auth.

As long as there is no overlap between the deluged's files i imagine this should work.
alekseevic
New User
New User

Post by alekseevic »

Finally I managed to get two deluged running. My solution is probably quite dirty but it works.

I created two /etc/init.d/deluge-daemon with different names and changed the parameters according to their new names. If needed it's possible to run the daemons under different users.
Then I created two /etc/default/deluge-daemon files with the exact names of the init.d scripts (eg: if you have /etc/init.d/deluge-daemon1 and /etc/init.d/deluge-daemon2, you will create /etc/default/deluge-daemon1 and /etc/default/deluge-daemon2). In this two files I told the daemons to point to two different config dirs. I configured them to use different ports and dirs, but they both run only if every port is different.
Centrius

Post by Centrius »

Can you please explain exactly where you "told the daemons to point to two different config dirs"?.
Is this correct or am i in the wrong track?

Code: Select all

# Configuration for /etc/init.d/deluge-daemon-p

# The init.d script will only run if this variable non-empty.
DELUGED_USER="centrius"             # !!!CHANGE THIS!!!!

# Should we run at startup?
RUN_AT_STARTUP="YES"
CONFIG = "~/.config/deluge-p"
PORT = 12345
Also, the configuration afterwards can be done through the GUI?
callumgare
New User
New User

Post by callumgare »

I imagine this thread has long since died and thus is unlikely to get a reply but I'm trying to do the same thing so I'd like an answer to the question asked in the post above me too.
Cheers.
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

I think you'd need to run deluged as a different user with a different config file and on different ports.

If your startup script looks something like this:

Code: Select all

:/etc/init$ cat deluged.conf 
start on (filesystem and networking) or runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [016]

env uid={username}
env gid={groupname}
env umask=000

exec start-stop-daemon -S -c $uid:$gid -k $umask -x /usr/bin/deluged -- -d -l /var/log/deluge/daemon.log -L warning
or whatever from http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... t%20Job%29

You can use -c to specify a config path to use. Setting a different path will allow you to have individualised daemons. Just name your upstart scripts differently per process.

That's how I imagine it working; I've never actually tried to run two daemons on the one machine myself.
pr3fire
New User
New User

Post by pr3fire »

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I am having a little trouble understanding how to get what is said above done. I am using Debian 8.5 and I have one instance up running perfectly fine. Is there an updated method on getting a second instance set up?