Adding two torrents for the same file but diffrent trackers

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
birdlives
New User
New User

Adding two torrents for the same file but diffrent trackers

Post by birdlives »

Hello,

I'm using deluge 1.2.1 and when trying to add two torrents for the same folder, but different trackers, only one is able to load. For instance I have foo1.torrent and foo2.torrent for folder foo/, but only am only able to load one or the other torrent to seed for it. I tried copying the folder into another directory and pointing the torrent that won't load to the copied folder, but it still won't load.

This used to work in deluge 1.2.0, and the torrents that I added when I was using 1.2.0 that are for the same folder, transferred over and are still seeding. But trying to add them in 1.2.1 does nothing. It just skips over it or ignores that I am adding a torrent.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear in how I described my issue.
birdlives
New User
New User

Re: Adding two torrents for the same file but diffrent trackers

Post by birdlives »

I'm just curious if anybody else has this issue, or if they can try and test it out if they are using 1.2.1. Because maybe if it works for somebody else, I can narrow it down and figure out what I am doing wrong.

It's not a super important issue for me. I only have a handful of torrents that I seed this way, although it is kind of frustrating not knowing the cause of it. Be it my own settings or maybe how deluge deals with torrents that have the same hash
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Are you making sure that your pointing deluge to the correct download location?
If the torrent has a folder foo/ you need to point deluge's download directory to the folder foo/ is in.
Also, you said it sometime ignores adding the torrent, would you be able to provide a daemon log of when this happens?
birdlives
New User
New User

Post by birdlives »

My .config/deluge/deluged.log file is empty, no errors are in it

I usually start deluge within a terminal, and the standard output is printed on that screen. It doesn't produce any errors when I am adding the torrent in question, it just simply skips over it. Like in deluge 1.2.0 when you forgot you added a torrent, and go to add it again, it would just skip over it because it was already loaded. Although now it skips over it if the hash is the same.

I am pointing the torrent in the correct location. If I remove the torrent that is seeding for the folder, and add the other torrent that would not load, it loads fine. But when I go to load the other torrent I removed, again, that one will not load.

I know the way I'm describing it is a bit confusing. But it's a general issue, that happens with every torrent that has the same hash.
tubedogg
New User
New User

Re: Adding two torrents for the same file but diffrent track

Post by tubedogg »

I am having this exact same problem. I am trying to seed the same folder to two private trackers (Tracker A and Tracker B). I add the the torrent file with my passkey for Tracker A and it works fine, but it completely ignores the second file I add with my passkey for Tracker B.

Is there any way around this? I can't rename the folder for obvious reasons and even duplicating the folder into two different directories triggers the issue. I believe birdlives is correct that it's reading the hash and ignoring it based on that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

If the infohash for both torrents are the same then it won't load the second torrent.
val_dam

Post by val_dam »

Hi!

Actually it is very common situation.

For example, uTorrent just offers to include/add the trackers from new torrent into list of trackers of old torrent,
Of couse, if both of torrents have the same hash.

I think, it's very logical and simple action.
libtorrent-rasterbar-1.1.1_1
py27-libtorrent-rasterbar-1.1.1_1
deluge 1.3.13 (headless: deluged + deluge-web)
FreeBSD-amd64-10.2-RELEASE
Firefox (Windows)
tubedogg
New User
New User

Post by tubedogg »

OK, so is there any way around this? None of the private trackers I am a member of allow a tracker to be added to one of their torrents, which is the only workaround that I can think of (and mentioned by val_dam).

Maybe if the user specifies a different folder for the data when adding the second torrent, instead of just ignoring it, ask if they do indeed want to add the torrent despite the matching hash? Would that cause too many other problems?
Jay-C

Post by Jay-C »

Sorry for the necro-thread, but I have this issue as well still in 2017 with deluge 1.3.15, and would very much like to hear the developer's stance on this problem.
// Jay-C
DjLegolas

Post by DjLegolas »

it's not up to the dev.
if two torrents have the same infohash, only the first one to be loaded will remain.
the infohash is a unique id of a torrent and this is how the client updates the tracker about that specific torrent's stats.
if two trackers use the exact same torrent file, but only change the tracker in it, there is no way to cross-seed.