couldn't open preferences, now won't launch (linpus AA1)

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
optimistic77

couldn't open preferences, now won't launch (linpus AA1)

Post by optimistic77 »

Hi
Apologies in advance if this has already been covered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find the relevant topic in the forum or among the tickets, or through any of my google efforts, so here goes...

I've got Deluge version 0.5.9.3-1.fc8.i386 running on an Acer Aspire One netbook, which has the linpus / linux lite OS - I believe it stems from Fedora 8 (I'm somewhat of a linux newbie, it was thrust upon me when my Toshiba XP laptop died suddenly last Xmas). I've keep it pretty loaded down - the things I torrent aren't that popular so I have to leave stuff seeding for ages to get the ratio up to 1 - and over time I've changed the settings to allow up to over 100 active torrents at once, with maybe 200 in total. Obviously the fuller it has gotten the slower it has run; performing tasks like opening the preferences tab were taking longer and longer until one day it just stopped opening the preferences at all, either from the drop down menu or the button on the GUI. Soon afterwards it crashed, and restarted again OK but completely empty of torrents. So I chalked up the incompletely seeded ones to fate, reloaded all the ones that were incomplete and continued merrily, but have now reached a similar stage again. Except this time it didn't crash - instead the drive to which my dL-ed files are being saved was accidentally disconnected and then immediately tried to reconnect as another file system (not for the first time) but once I'd resolved that in the usual way, I found that now Deluge wouldn't start. I've found the configuration files in /.config/deluge/ and followed advice on deleting the whole deluge folder (a new one is created in its place) or just deleting the persistent.state file it contains; when I do the latter Deluge starts perfectly well but, again, empty. And in that case the preferences tab still won't open, no matter what I do.

Here are the config files the original deluge folder contained:
folders logs
" " torrentfiles

?type? dht.state

open with event_logging.conf
mousepad files.conf
firstrun
graph.conf
infosent
move_torrent.conf
newsearch.conf
notification.conf
peers.conf
persistent.state
prefs.state

Once I deleted the whole folder in .config and started Deluge successfully, a new folder was created which didn't have a logs folder, an event_logging.conf file, a graph.conf file, a movetorrent.conf file, a newsearch.conf file or a notification.conf file, but had all the others. Additionally, there was a new dht.state file, which at first opened automatically with mousepad but then immediately became unassociated from that application.

SO I can delete the whole deluge folder, open Deluge as brand new and just go through the rignmarole of adding all my torrents again, or I can delete just the persistent.state file and go through all the rigmarole while still being unabel to open my preferences tab. But is there just no way I can tweak it to fix whatever the problem is and KEEP the 100+ torrents already in there???

This may all be useless to you, but in the interests of supplying as much info as I have just now,
with the original folder in place, trying to run Deluge from terminal by just typing in
deluge or dbus-launch deluge
produces:
Applying preferences
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::bad_lexical_cast'
what (): bad lexical cast: soucre type valus could not be interpreted as target
Aborted

I'd be really grateful for any help anyone can give me - most of all I just want to understand what's going on! I'll supply any info you request if you'd be good enough too spell out where I can find it.

[And one final q - how can I stop it giving me that notification that there's been a new version released every time it starts up? The link it gives me to a webpage doesn't work, and I'm pretty sure I'm running the most advanced version Linpus can manage.]

Many thanks,

Optimistic