Help me understand seed rank

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
psantucc
New User
New User

Help me understand seed rank

Postby psantucc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 am

I'm lost.

I have cleared up my earlier confusion between the meaning of "Share Ratio Limit" and "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches", and have read the FAQ:

Seeding torrents have no queue position! Why? ¶

Seeds use something called "seed rank" to determine which should be active and which should be queued. The seed rank is determined by the number of seed cycles a torrent has completed. Torrents with fewer completed seed cycles are prioritized for seeding. A seed cycle is completed when a torrent meets either the share ratio limit (uploaded bytes / downloaded bytes), the share time ratio (time seeding / time downloading) or seed time limit (time seeded).

If I read that right, though, my settings:

Share Ratio Limit: 1.40
Seed Time Ratio: -1.00
Seed Time (m): -1

Stop Seeding when share ratio reaches: 1.40

Should result in 0 seed cycles for all torrents, and thus an equal priority - the Time settings are unlimited, so they can't ever cause a cycle to complete, and if a torrent reaches a ratio of 1.40, it should stop seeding.

However, I have a wide variety of seed ranks in my seeding torrents. Can anyone explain that?

A further puzzle lies in two particular examples - two torrents each with x(13) peers - but the one with a seed rank of 37 was actively seeding, and the one with a seed rank of 0 was cued. I would have expected the reverse; perhaps seed rank is inversely, rather than directy, proportional to seed cycles completed?

Any information appreciated.
Thanks.

Vndtta
New User
New User
OS or Distro: Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Help me understand seed rank

Postby Vndtta » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 am

I bring the post up because I don't understand it either, anyone can help please?

KashifSMalik
New User
New User
OS or Distro: Raspbian

Postby KashifSMalik » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 am

Bringing this 8-year old thread back to life because seed rank is still something that needs explaining. Plus, I am in the same boat as the original poster. So, input of any kind would be helpful.

shamael
Super Seeder
Super Seeder
OS or Distro: osmc

Postby shamael » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Guys,

A first track to follow (see Cas answer) viewtopic.php?t=43283

Return to “Support”