File Name Too Long Error

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
BK201

File Name Too Long Error

Post by BK201 »

I get a "file name too long" error on a torrent with Japanese file names. Dunno if thats what caused the error or not, but if I hit "resume" it just gets stuck checking. My system is using utf-8 locale and has support for CJK so it could be something else. Deluge 1.1.3 Gentoo x86_64
tyle

Re: File Name Too Long Error

Post by tyle »

Seems to be a libtorrent issue.
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/1615

I have yet to find a linux bittorrent client that can handle really long filenames. The only workaround that has worked for me for such torrents is running utorrent through wine, which is far from being an optimal solution in my opinion.

There was a bug for the matter in Deluge:
http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/162

but it seems all old bugs were closed with the release of Deluge 1.0
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

tyle wrote:Seems to be a libtorrent issue.
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/1615
deluge uses rasterbar's libtorrent, not rakshasa's.
BK201 wrote:I get a "file name too long" error on a torrent with Japanese file names. Dunno if thats what caused the error or not, but if I hit "resume" it just gets stuck checking. My system is using utf-8 locale and has support for CJK so it could be something else. Deluge 1.1.3 Gentoo x86_64
could you see if you get the same error in 1.1.8?
BK201

Post by BK201 »

Still get the same error with 1.1.8 on server and client.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

how long is this filename?
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

BK201 wrote:Still get the same error with 1.1.8 on server and client.
What file system?
tyle

Post by tyle »

The time I had a problem I was trying to save data to an ext3 drive. The file name consisted mainly of Japanese characters and was very long.

Browsing Wikipedia i have found a possible cause for the problem:

A file created on a NTFS system is allowed a filename consisting of up to 255 bytes of UTF-16 characters. Furthermore, some characters, mainly Chinese and Japanese, take up more space in UTF-8 than in UTF-16. I suppose that when the file is to be saved to my ext3 drive, the file name is converted to UTF-8, thus taking up more than 255 bytes, which is the filename limitation for ext3.

Does this sound as a plausible explanation? If that is the case, I suppose it is a file system issue.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

tyle wrote:The time I had a problem I was trying to save data to an ext3 drive. The file name consisted mainly of Japanese characters and was very long.

Browsing Wikipedia i have found a possible cause for the problem:

A file created on a NTFS system is allowed a filename consisting of up to 255 bytes of UTF-16 characters. Furthermore, some characters, mainly Chinese and Japanese, take up more space in UTF-8 than in UTF-16. I suppose that when the file is to be saved to my ext3 drive, the file name is converted to UTF-8, thus taking up more than 255 bytes, which is the filename limitation for ext3.

Does this sound as a plausible explanation? If that is the case, I suppose it is a file system issue.
Yes, that makes sense.
v3locim

Post by v3locim »

I would suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program.