[Fixed] Ubuntu Jaunty & Deluge 1.1.6/1.1.7

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
tomm3h

[Fixed] Ubuntu Jaunty & Deluge 1.1.6/1.1.7

Post by tomm3h »

Hi all,

Appreciate that this is covered slightly on these boards already, but I've been through the existing threads and not found a solution. I'll attempt to reference them as I go along.

I was running a fully-patched (including proposed/backports) Intrepid 8.10, i386 installation until yesterday. Deluge was usually installed as the .deb's arrived, but recently I'd just added the deluge-team PPA for 1.1.6, as it appeared to get new releases before Getdeb did (e.g. as of right this second, 1.1.7 hasn't hit Getdeb yet).

I ran the upgrade tool for Jaunty 9.04 yesterday morning; I've since been having a lovely little issue with dmraid, but that's besides the point. The current situation is that I'm running Jaunty with the older 2.6.27-14-generic kernel release.

The Jaunty upgrade appears to have installed its own version of deluge 1.1.6 (as the upgrade tool always disables third-party package sources) which is currently broken. I was running deluge from a shell, and receiving only:

Code: Select all

teh@ubuntu:~$ deluge
teh@ubuntu:~$ 
Which is particularly strange, given that I hadn't asked for the version number.

Therefore I came here, to check. The instructions in this thread, did not work for me. I wasn't able to install 'libtorrent-rasterbar1/ppa.launchpad.net python-libtorrent/ppa.launchpad.net' as they were reputedly unavailable. As it turns-out, these packages were already installed anyway.

Therefore, I attempted to download the packages from the PPA manually: re-installing deluge with the PPA added to my sources only served to install them from the Canonical repositories. After downloading the 1.1.6 packages from from here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/deluge-team/ub ... /d/deluge/, I finally had a version of deluge that would spit out some error messages:

root@ubuntu:~# deluge
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  "glade/queuedtorrents.glade"))
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: value "TRUE" of type `gboolean' is invalid or out of range for property `visible' of type `gboolean'
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:76: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  gtk.TreeViewColumn(_("Torrent"), gtk.CellRendererText(), text=0))
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:76: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  "glade/main_window.glade"))
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: value "TRUE" of type `gboolean' is invalid or out of range for property `visible' of type `gboolean'
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gdk_display_get_window_at_pointer: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_unknown_glyphs_count: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_size_lookup_for_settings: assertion `GTK_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: Invalid icon size 1

/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion `GTK_IS_ICON_THEME (icon_theme)' failed
Segmentation fault
Noticing a lot of Python errors, I then attempted to create the symlink referenced in the previous instructions, in the case that it was the source of the issue; the file it attempts to create is already there, as it turns-out.

So now I'm stuck. Is 1.1.7 due to fix these issues with a specific jaunty package? Is there something obvious that I've missed? Thanks to the devs in advance.

Tom
Last edited by tomm3h on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
lovinglinux
New User
New User

Re: Ubuntu Jaunty & Deluge 1.1.6

Post by lovinglinux »

I have Deluge 1.1.7 installed today on a fresh Jaunty install, using the PPA update. It is working properly, except for the UPnP, but is the subject for another thread.
tomm3h

Post by tomm3h »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just went to install deluge from the PPA repo again, and sure enough, 1.1.7 is there now.

However, I've just installed this with apt, and I'm still having the same problems:

root@ubuntu:~# apt-get install deluge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  deluge-common deluge-core
The following packages will be upgraded:
  deluge deluge-common deluge-core
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 1778kB of archives.
After this operation, 45.1kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get: 1 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main deluge 1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2 [257kB]
Get: 2 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main deluge-common 1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2 [190kB]
Get: 3 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main deluge-core 1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2 [1331kB]
Fetched 1778kB in 1s (981kB/s)        
(Reading database ... 159567 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace deluge 1.1.6+dfsg-2ubuntu1 (using .../deluge_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement deluge ...
Preparing to replace deluge-common 1.1.6+dfsg-2ubuntu1 (using .../deluge-common_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement deluge-common ...
Preparing to replace deluge-core 1.1.6+dfsg-2ubuntu1 (using .../deluge-core_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement deluge-core ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up deluge-core (1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2) ...

Setting up deluge-common (1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2) ...

Setting up deluge (1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2) ...

/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning: could not open display
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: value "TRUE" of type `gboolean' is invalid or out of range for property `visible' of type `gboolean'
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:76: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:76: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: value "TRUE" of type `gboolean' is invalid or out of range for property `visible' of type `gboolean'
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gdk_display_get_window_at_pointer: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_unknown_glyphs_count: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_size_lookup_for_settings: assertion `GTK_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: Invalid icon size 1

/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion `GTK_IS_ICON_THEME (icon_theme)' failed
Segmentation fault
So, this isn't just 1.1.6. I'll update the topic to reflect.

Thanks again all.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

tomm3h wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just went to install deluge from the PPA repo again, and sure enough, 1.1.7 is there now.

However, I've just installed this with apt, and I'm still having the same problems:

root@ubuntu:~# apt-get install deluge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 1778kB of archives.
After this operation, 45.1kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get: 1 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main deluge 1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2 [257kB]
Get: 2 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main deluge-common 1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2 [190kB]
Get: 3 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main deluge-core 1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2 [1331kB]
Fetched 1778kB in 1s (981kB/s)        
(Reading database ... 159567 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace deluge 1.1.6+dfsg-2ubuntu1 (using .../deluge_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement deluge ...
Preparing to replace deluge-common 1.1.6+dfsg-2ubuntu1 (using .../deluge-common_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement deluge-common ...
Preparing to replace deluge-core 1.1.6+dfsg-2ubuntu1 (using .../deluge-core_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement deluge-core ...

Segmentation fault
So, this isn't just 1.1.6. I'll update the topic to reflect.

Thanks again all.
Don't run as root, that's really silly..

The first error suggests it can't open a display.. Are you running this on a headless machine?
HardDisk

Re: Ubuntu Jaunty & Deluge 1.1.6/1.1.7

Post by HardDisk »

Unfortunately I too am having the same issue, that deluge spits out the ver number and doesn't start.
tomm3h

Post by tomm3h »

andar wrote: Don't run as root, that's really silly..

The first error suggests it can't open a display.. Are you running this on a headless machine?
Well, oddly, I tried running deluge 1.1.7 straight from my Gnome menu (logged-in as a regular user) which didn't work.

So the first console I came to run it from was logged in with 'sudo su -', as I'd been installing stuff.

But you're correct, it seems to work as a regular user, since I've restarted. It's fixed! :)

uPnP is the devil in a shared environment, so I'm almost glad that doesn't work :lol:

@HardDisk: Add the Launchpad PPA repository (as per the download page) to your sources, and upgrade to 1.1.7. :)
elcamilo

Re: [Fixed] Ubuntu Jaunty & Deluge 1.1.6/1.1.7

Post by elcamilo »

Hello deluge word!

I'm on Jaunty i386 and yesterday I updated Deluge from Deluge-team PPA to 1.1.7. It also updated rasterbar version (2 packages). It works well, as always.
I did not use UPNP and i disabled it on Preferences Deluge dialog: as like as for others p2p client, I prefear to open ports on my router.

regards
mais_um

Post by mais_um »

But you're correct, it seems to work as a regular user, since I've restarted. It's fixed!
same error, exec as regular user and doesn't work.

it work at last update after a reboot doesn't work anymore.

Any :idea: ??

thanks
tomm3h

Post by tomm3h »

mais_um wrote:
But you're correct, it seems to work as a regular user, since I've restarted. It's fixed!
same error, exec as regular user and doesn't work.

it work at last update after a reboot doesn't work anymore.

Any :idea: ??

thanks
Are you certain that you are using the 1.1.7 version from the PPA repository? I've since installed this on a fresh 9.04 installation (my girlfriend's laptop) and it worked perfectly first time.
mais_um

Post by mais_um »

tomm3h wrote: Are you certain that you are using the 1.1.7 version from the PPA repository? I've since installed this on a fresh 9.04 installation (my girlfriend's laptop) and it worked perfectly first time.
Hi
yes i´m sure i use 1.1.7

apt-get -y --force-yes -f install deluge ..

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following NEW packages will be installed:
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1778kB of archives.
After this operation, 7315kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package deluge-core.
(Reading database ... 43431 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking deluge-core (from .../deluge-core_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package deluge-common.
Unpacking deluge-common (from .../deluge-common_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package deluge.
Unpacking deluge (from .../deluge_1.1.7-0ubuntu1~jaunty2_all.deb) ...

.. install complete.
:oops:
Last ubuntu update (5-5-2009) brought me deluge again. Thanks
Cya