Renaming files/folders in svn version

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
nxmehta

Renaming files/folders in svn version

Post by nxmehta »

I read somewhere on these forums that renaming torrent files/folders is implemented in the svn version. I don't see how to do this though. I'm running the webui on a headless server- do i need to launch the gtk ui for this to work?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Renaming files/folders in svn version

Post by johnnyg »

yes, you currently can only rename files using the files tab in the gtk ui.
nxmehta

Post by nxmehta »

Ok, I loaded up the gtk ui and renamed some files. However, I can't seem to rename folders? Is that correct? The main feature I needed out of the svn version was folder renaming. Will this be implemented in the future? And will either of these actions be possible through the web ui?
nxmehta

Post by nxmehta »

Ok, I played with it for a while tonight and got folder renaming working. There are some pretty strange bugs associated with this though. Let me go through some of the problematic behavior.

First, the setup. The torrent I'm downloading has one top level directory and then a bunch of files in that directory. I'm trying to change the directory name.

1. I add the torrent in the paused state. I then go into the file list and rename the directory. After entering the name and hitting return, the name doesn't change. However, when I download the torrent it downloads to the correct folder (the one I entered). Upon restarting deluge the folder name is corrected.

2. I add the torrent in the paused state. I then go into the file list and rename the directory. I restart deluge. The folder name is still the old, incorrect value. It looks as though you need to change the folder name AND start the torrent all in the same deluge session. Which is confusing because you can't actually see the folder name change until you restart.

3. I add the torrent in the paused state. I point it to a directory that has a subdirectory where I have already downloaded the files from the torrent. I then go into the file list and rename the top level directory so that it matches the subdirectory on the disk with all the files in it. After entering the name and hitting return, the name doesn't visibly change as in 1, but internally the name change works. Now, I force a re-check on the torrent. It checks out fine and I can seed. However, when I restart deluge the directory I renamed isn't saved and is reverted to the old value. Now deluge has to redownload the torrent again to an incorrect directory!

4. I perform the actions in 1. When I first add the torrent paused, deluge creates the top level directory automatically. After renaming and downloading, deluge creates the new directory but the old one remains. I'm not sure if this would be correct behavior but it would be nice if deluge could clean up the directory that it first created. Otherwise after every folder rename you'll have a bunch of old and (presumably) empty folders lying around.

So it looks like this sort of works with some big bugs (can't rename and seed for instance). Lemme know if there's anything else I should test. Also, to reiterate, I'd love to see this feature in the web ui :)
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

nxmehta wrote:Ok, I played with it for a while tonight and got folder renaming working. There are some pretty strange bugs associated with this though. Let me go through some of the problematic behavior.

First, the setup. The torrent I'm downloading has one top level directory and then a bunch of files in that directory. I'm trying to change the directory name.

1. I add the torrent in the paused state. I then go into the file list and rename the directory. After entering the name and hitting return, the name doesn't change. However, when I download the torrent it downloads to the correct folder (the one I entered). Upon restarting deluge the folder name is corrected.

2. I add the torrent in the paused state. I then go into the file list and rename the directory. I restart deluge. The folder name is still the old, incorrect value. It looks as though you need to change the folder name AND start the torrent all in the same deluge session. Which is confusing because you can't actually see the folder name change until you restart.

3. I add the torrent in the paused state. I point it to a directory that has a subdirectory where I have already downloaded the files from the torrent. I then go into the file list and rename the top level directory so that it matches the subdirectory on the disk with all the files in it. After entering the name and hitting return, the name doesn't visibly change as in 1, but internally the name change works. Now, I force a re-check on the torrent. It checks out fine and I can seed. However, when I restart deluge the directory I renamed isn't saved and is reverted to the old value. Now deluge has to redownload the torrent again to an incorrect directory!

4. I perform the actions in 1. When I first add the torrent paused, deluge creates the top level directory automatically. After renaming and downloading, deluge creates the new directory but the old one remains. I'm not sure if this would be correct behavior but it would be nice if deluge could clean up the directory that it first created. Otherwise after every folder rename you'll have a bunch of old and (presumably) empty folders lying around.

So it looks like this sort of works with some big bugs (can't rename and seed for instance). Lemme know if there's anything else I should test. Also, to reiterate, I'd love to see this feature in the web ui :)
Most of the issues just sound like your signalreceiver isn't working, or there is a communication break down.

The other issue is that when a torrent is paused, it's resume data won't be saved (this is where the file name changes are stored), I know about this and I will fix it soon.
nxmehta

Post by nxmehta »

andar wrote: Most of the issues just sound like your signalreceiver isn't working, or there is a communication break down.

The other issue is that when a torrent is paused, it's resume data won't be saved (this is where the file name changes are stored), I know about this and I will fix it soon.
Thanks for the reply! Great to hear that the file name changing issue will be fixed.

Do you have any advice on how to debug the signal receiver on my end? I'm afraid I don't know anything about how gtk works (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to?). If you could start me in some direction I'm sure I could figure it out on my own.
nxmehta

Post by nxmehta »

Oh and one other thing, another issue that might be a bug (seems different than what's listed so far, but you might already know about it):

After adding the torrent and renaming the top level folder to a folder that already exists and has 100% file completion, when I start the torrent it overwrites the completed files instead of doing a recheck and figuring out that the files are already there. If I run the recheck before starting the torrent everything is fine, but maybe it should be checking when the torrent is started (that appears to be the normal behavior for the non-renaming case).