Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

General support for any problems installing or running Deluge
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 pm
OS or Distro: Debian
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby markybob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 am

yes, i pulled the plugs. even though many thousands actually used the service, only a very, very, *very* few supported us with the ads. to those who did, i thank you very much :-) i'm sorry i couldnt afford to keep it up.

mezz
Leecher
Leecher
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:40 pm
OS or Distro: FreeBSD

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby mezz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 am

I have a question, how soon are you going to release next version of Deluge? Just asking, because some of users are going to report me bugs.. I am wondering if I should wait for next version or add patch to disable it complete in ports/package. Thanks for being creative and give it a shot.

markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 pm
OS or Distro: Debian
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby markybob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 am

mezz wrote:I have a question, how soon are you going to release next version of Deluge? Just asking, because some of users are going to report me bugs.. I am wondering if I should wait for next version or add patch to disable it complete in ports/package. Thanks for being creative and give it a shot.

probably a week's time. sorry for the trouble

mezz
Leecher
Leecher
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:40 pm
OS or Distro: FreeBSD

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby mezz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:47 pm

markybob wrote:probably a week's time. sorry for the trouble

It's not a big deal for me, so no worry. ;-) I have committed a patch to display a message box when users click on browser button instead of actually browser window for now until next release.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/p ... le_browser

MoJo
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:28 am

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby MoJo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm

Instead of just removing a plugin, why not just enhance it a bit? The idea is good, so why not still allow a Proxy, and allow a user to configure there own Web Proxy rather than the one being provided. Deluge already has a setting for Web Proxies, can't we tie that into the Browser?

0dd1y

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby 0dd1y » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:49 pm

you can do that now using about:config same as firefox.

johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:00 am
OS or Distro: Arch Linux x86_64
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby johnnyg » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:47 pm

markybob wrote:yes, i pulled the plugs. even though many thousands actually used the service, only a very, very, *very* few supported us with the ads. to those who did, i thank you very much :-) i'm sorry i couldnt afford to keep it up.


sorry to hear that, are you much out of pocket?

markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 pm
OS or Distro: Debian
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby markybob » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:09 am

johnnyg wrote:
markybob wrote:yes, i pulled the plugs. even though many thousands actually used the service, only a very, very, *very* few supported us with the ads. to those who did, i thank you very much :-) i'm sorry i couldnt afford to keep it up.


sorry to hear that, are you much out of pocket?

should've checked my math before posting...in the hole around $1000 :( that's life sometimes, i guess.

johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:00 am
OS or Distro: Arch Linux x86_64
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby johnnyg » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:47 am

markybob wrote:
johnnyg wrote:
markybob wrote:yes, i pulled the plugs. even though many thousands actually used the service, only a very, very, *very* few supported us with the ads. to those who did, i thank you very much :-) i'm sorry i couldnt afford to keep it up.


sorry to hear that, are you much out of pocket?

should've checked my math before posting...in the hole around $1000 :( that's life sometimes, i guess.


yeah I guess it is, still a bummer though.
is it still possible to generate ad-based revenue even though the service is no longer available?
it doesn't seem fair that you should have to pay (literally) for what seemed like a good idea (my only complaint with it was that you couldn't use your existing browser) :(

markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 pm
OS or Distro: Debian
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby markybob » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:09 am

johnnyg wrote:yeah I guess it is, still a bummer though.
is it still possible to generate ad-based revenue even though the service is no longer available?
it doesn't seem fair that you should have to pay (literally) for what seemed like a good idea (my only complaint with it was that you couldn't use your existing browser) :(

thanks. we still get ad revenue from our website, which is anywhere between $5-9 a day. so eventually, i'll get it back :) it'll just take a long time. also, i cant say if someone is gonna donate or how much they'll donate, so i guess i'll just have to wait and see how things go. hopefully deluge will get more popular and we'll get more traffic, etc.


Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest