Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

General support for any problems installing or running Deluge
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster
OS or Distro: Debian

Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby markybob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 am

yes, i pulled the plugs. even though many thousands actually used the service, only a very, very, *very* few supported us with the ads. to those who did, i thank you very much :-) i'm sorry i couldnt afford to keep it up.

mezz
Leecher
Leecher
OS or Distro: FreeBSD

Re: Proxy Server "Anonymizing Browser" Down

Postby mezz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 am

I have a question, how soon are you going to release next version of Deluge? Just asking, because some of users are going to report me bugs.. I am wondering if I should wait for next version or add patch to disable it complete in ports/package. Thanks for being creative and give it a shot.

markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Postby markybob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 am

mezz wrote:I have a question, how soon are you going to release next version of Deluge? Just asking, because some of users are going to report me bugs.. I am wondering if I should wait for next version or add patch to disable it complete in ports/package. Thanks for being creative and give it a shot.

probably a week's time. sorry for the trouble

mezz
Leecher
Leecher
OS or Distro: FreeBSD

Postby mezz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:47 pm

markybob wrote:probably a week's time. sorry for the trouble

It's not a big deal for me, so no worry. ;-) I have committed a patch to display a message box when users click on browser button instead of actually browser window for now until next release.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/p ... le_browser

MoJo

Postby MoJo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm

Instead of just removing a plugin, why not just enhance it a bit? The idea is good, so why not still allow a Proxy, and allow a user to configure there own Web Proxy rather than the one being provided. Deluge already has a setting for Web Proxies, can't we tie that into the Browser?

0dd1y

Postby 0dd1y » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:49 pm

you can do that now using about:config same as firefox.

johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke
OS or Distro: Arch Linux x86_64

Postby johnnyg » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:47 pm

markybob wrote:yes, i pulled the plugs. even though many thousands actually used the service, only a very, very, *very* few supported us with the ads. to those who did, i thank you very much :-) i'm sorry i couldnt afford to keep it up.

sorry to hear that, are you much out of pocket?

markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Postby markybob » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:09 am

johnnyg wrote:
markybob wrote:yes, i pulled the plugs. even though many thousands actually used the service, only a very, very, *very* few supported us with the ads. to those who did, i thank you very much :-) i'm sorry i couldnt afford to keep it up.

should've checked my math before posting...in the hole around $1000 :( that's life sometimes, i guess.

johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke
OS or Distro: Arch Linux x86_64

Postby johnnyg » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:47 am

markybob wrote:
johnnyg wrote:

should've checked my math before posting...in the hole around $1000 :( that's life sometimes, i guess.

yeah I guess it is, still a bummer though.
is it still possible to generate ad-based revenue even though the service is no longer available?
it doesn't seem fair that you should have to pay (literally) for what seemed like a good idea (my only complaint with it was that you couldn't use your existing browser) :(

markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Postby markybob » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:09 am

johnnyg wrote:yeah I guess it is, still a bummer though.
is it still possible to generate ad-based revenue even though the service is no longer available?
it doesn't seem fair that you should have to pay (literally) for what seemed like a good idea (my only complaint with it was that you couldn't use your existing browser) :(

thanks. we still get ad revenue from our website, which is anywhere between $5-9 a day. so eventually, i'll get it back :) it'll just take a long time. also, i cant say if someone is gonna donate or how much they'll donate, so i guess i'll just have to wait and see how things go. hopefully deluge will get more popular and we'll get more traffic, etc.

Return to “Support”