File saved in different location woes

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
cinderblock63

File saved in different location woes

Post by cinderblock63 »

I'm running 1.2.3 on a headless linux seed box and connect with the remote interface. (Which I love btw, a heavy pull for me)

I can't stand cluttering all my data files with random torrent directory/files names and nfo files.

I normally use Azureus (which I love but would like to switch away from) which has a nice way to support "relocating" files. Individual files (not folders) can be relocated somewhere else. Doesn't work like Deluge's renaming scheme. Both features are aptly named.

Anyways, I have a bunch of the core files for torrents I'd already downloaded and I want to add them to deluge. I don't mind re-downloading the remaining missing pieces for the nfo files etc. I'll only use it if I can keep all those in a separate location. I remember in a previous version of Deluge, renaming a file with an absolute path worked. (even if it cluttered up the file view, unlike Azureus's system). 1.2.3 seems to disregard the leading / and treat and just create a similar tree in the torrent download folder (and seems to be impossible to get rid of these extra directory nodes in the file view). What does still work is to use preceding .. directories bout you need to know for far up to go and is just a pain. Since that no longer worked, I created a symlink in the Deluge download folder to the data file on my /mnt/raid. I was able to get deluge to find 99% of the data in the main file. I think it thinks it's missing the last piece that overlaps the end of the file and a pesky nfo file. I could let it "re download" it but that seems pointless. (Just want to point that out) The other issue is I'd rather not give Deluge permissions to write to my existing files on the raid array and because of this Deluge won't download the missing nfo file b/c it also wants to write it's own version of the download to the existing file. It then errors and won't seed.

So, what do you guys think?
Should I just give Deluge write permissions?
Is this something that can be fixed in Deluge or does libtorrent need to support it?
And, what has everyone else done in similar setups?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: File saved in different location woes

Post by johnnyg »

I'm not really sure what you mean by relocating. Could you give an example?

In Deluge, you can rename / restructure the files with a torrent or you can specify the root download folder.
They're two separate things.
cinderblock63

Post by cinderblock63 »

I know you can rename files and folders in deluge but it doesn't quite let you do the same thing as Azureus. At first glance they seem to be the same but the main difference is how the two treat files and folders in the torrent. In Azureus, the list of files in the torrent is not shown with a folder tree. It only shows file names on files and the path to the directory it is saved in which is either relative to the torrent's root download directory or an absolute path where that file has been relocated to. This way of handling files does not lead to easy folder name manipulation like deluge's system since deluge's file view shows the directory structure. The "problem" is Deluge is kinda stuck with this notion that you always want to see the expandable (explorable, with those drop down arrows etc) list of folders which doesn't let you relocate the files. Like I mentioned before, it also seems like the new version of Deluge doesn't accept absolute paths when renaming and assumes you just want to change the relative folder. (You can still trick Deluge to do with by using .. folder names to get up out of the torrent data download directory.)

In the end, what I'm really suggesting is a new feature "relocate", separate from "rename", where you for instance right click on a file or folder in the files list and have the option to relocate it which lets you pick an absolute path to store that file/folder in. This will make it work similar to my current symlink solution where the files list view doesn't get all cluttered and downloading to/seeding from a relocated file just looks in a silent redirect.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

I think I get it now.

So if you have a file with two files in it say fileA and fileB and you download it to /media/downloads, you end up with something like:

Code: Select all

/media/downloads/fileA
/media/downloads/fileB
you'd then say like to relocate fileB to /var/tmp/ but leave fileA where it is, so you end up with something like:

/media/downloads/fileA
/var/tmp/fileB
Is this what you mean?
cinderblock63

Post by cinderblock63 »

Kinda. Try this:

Original Torrent:
(BBB = Big Buck Bunny, but could be replaced with anything...)

BBB/BBB.mkv
BBB/BBB.Sample.mkv
BBB/BBB.nfo
I'd like to store those like this:

/mnt/raid/movies/BBB (year).mkv
/home/deluge/data/BBB/BBB.Sample.mkv
/home/deluge/data/BBB/BBB.nfo
My current solution is to not tell Deluge about /mnt/raid with a symlink like this:
(Manually move file and create symlink (or easy to write script)

/mnt/raid/movies/BBB (year).mkv
/home/deluge/data/BBB/BBB.mkv -> /mnt/raid/movies/BBB (year).mkv
/home/deluge/data/BBB/BBB.Sample.mkv
/home/deluge/data/BBB/BBB.nfo
Also, notice the slight renaming.

When you try to do such things with Deluge, it just clutters up the "files" view with needless extra directory trees.
Current version does not let you rename to absolute dir. (I think old version did) This is still however possible with relative ".." directories.

Enabling relocating of directories would also enable things like this to be easy done. Instead of for each file individually.

/mnt/raid/music/Artist/Album1
/mnt/raid/music/Artist/Album1/01 - Song.mp3
/mnt/raid/music/Artist/...
/home/deluge/data/Artist.Discography/blah.nfo
/home/deluge/data/Artist.Discography/Cover Art.jpg
#/home/deluge/data/Artist.Discography/Album1.123bps.woot    Original save location of album 1
cinderblock63

Post by cinderblock63 »

Time for a little bump combined with a couple other observations...

I have a slightly improved method for dealing with keeping my files organized:
I moved my deluge download directory to /mnt/raid/downloads and plan to keep that "dirty". I can then hard link the main video file in the downloads directory to where I actually want the main content file stored somewhere else on the raid.

The other issue I've come across is that deluge uses the root folder's name as the display name in the list of torrents. This seems fine at first since most torrents use rather unique names.
But if I change the storage location for the whole torrent to be in my show's directory, and then rename the torrent's root folder to "Season x" so that my directory structure is setup the way I want for storage, the torrent is then renamed in deluge to "Season x" and I then can't distinguish it in the list from the other torrents without inspecting it.
I tried moving the storage location up a directory (which failed and seems to be a different bug) and then renaming the torrent folder (the first entry in the files tab) to "Show/Season x" (which it won't let me do) so that it might show up in the torrent list like that.

I am in the process of importing the project to my IDE of choice (Netbeans) so that I can start exploring the code for myself.

Any thoughts from the community or devs on this? Are we libtorrent limited?
freya

Post by freya »

I must bump this topic. Likewise, my desires are to get rid of the downloaded folder. I have the end folder structure like this:

/externalhdd/tvshows/BBB_S01/BBB_s01e01.avi
/externalhdd/tvshows/BBB_S01/infogarbagefile.txt
/externalhdd/tvshows/BBB_S01/BBB_s01e02.avi
/externalhdd/tvshows/BBB_S01/BBB_s01e03.avi
/externalhdd/tvshows/BBB_S01/BBB_s01e04.avi

The "infogarbagefile.txt" might be the same for all episodes if you stuck with a certain distro group. Lately, it's NOT the same, so that file would be stopped in it's sharing (I think deluge supports this).

The problem is when I "Move Storage" of the episode. Deluge recreates the folder and moves the episode into it such as this:
/externalhdd/tvshows/BBB_S01/BBB_s01e01/BBB_s01e01.avi
/externalhdd/tvshows/BBB_S01/BBB_s01e01/infogarbagefile.txt

uTorrent does exactly what I want. I can shed the original download folder and change to my file structure. I don't know how to use "symlinks" and would prefer not to learn.

I can't believe deluge hasn't enacted a feature that permits this folder freedom. Or has it and I can't find it?
smokeofc

Post by smokeofc »

Rather old thread now, but let's try to revive it :)
Anyone found a solution to this (an actual way of doing it instead of using links in the file system)?

I'm trying to migrate from uTorrent to Deluge and I really like Deluge untill I start relocating files. The workaround (OS: Windows) for me is:
- Remove torrent from Deluge
- Add torrent to uTorrent
- Relocate files
- Import torrent into Deluge using the uTorrent migration plugin

And when using the workaround I have to live with not really being able to see what exactly a torrent contains (If I relocate one file in a big pack to another drive, the torrent-name changes from 'torrent-name' to 'diskname' (ex: 'Game of Thrones Season 02 x264' to 'E:')...

I'd really rather not move back to uTorrent due to this small annoyance, so if anyone has any solutions, please do tell :)
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

You can replace the toplevel folder name with a forward-slash to remove it