Deluge rechecking torrents on every startup, please help!

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
LibertasAequitas
New User
New User

Deluge rechecking torrents on every startup, please help!

Post by LibertasAequitas »

Hello,

I love Deluge. What a great piece of software! Thank you, team Deluge.

I am experiencing an unusual problem, and I have been unable to sort out a solution even after much Googling. Deluge rechecks every single torrent, completed or not, every time the program starts. (After a reboot, or simply closing and reopening the program) Here are a few details:
  • I run Deluge on a Late 2014 Mac Mini. i5, 4GB RAM. It is running the latest version of Yosemite.
  • I download my torrents directly to an Intel SSD that I installed in place of the mechanical one that it came with.
  • Upon completion, Deluge moves the downloaded files to an HFS+ formatted Western Digital external HDD.
  • I use Labels Plus to automatically label my torrents based on their content, and sort them into the appropriate folders upon completion.
  • I am using Deluge.app version 1.3.11
I have done a bit of troubleshooting: If I download the torrent to the internal SSD (the boot drive) Deluge resumes seeding perfectly. As soon as I move the files to my external HDD, after restarting the program rebooting, Deluge forces the torrent to recheck itself to continue seeding.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this, or does anyone have any insight that may lead me to a solution? I am not terribly inexperience when it comes to technology so any discussion is apreciated.
Shryp

Re: Deluge rechecking torrents on every startup, please help

Post by Shryp »

There are a lot of similar threads when dealing with external drives and NAS devices for other operating systems too. Usually it has to do with then the external device is not connected or the connection is lost. Maybe one of those other threads can help you?
LibertasAequitas
New User
New User

I have gone through a number of those threads (still looking around as we speak), found a few semi related tickets, etc. Sadly, nothing has pointed me in the direction of a solution that prevents my issue from occurring. My external HDD is always connected, and mounted when the operating system is running and a user is logged in, however, simply closing and reopening Deluge reproduces the problem. Thank you for your time and the encouragement to continue my search. :)
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

Have you tried updating libtorrent? Also there is a thread on here with the new 1.3.12 version and that should come with the new 1.0.6 libtorrent as well. Maybe those will help you. Make a backup of your config directory first just in case, but it should work fine.

http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... 13&t=52487
LibertasAequitas
New User
New User

I will update to 1.3.12 now. Will report back after attempting to reproduce the issue. Thank you!
LibertasAequitas
New User
New User

I have updated to version 1.3.12, and sadly the issue still exists. I should have taken your advice to back up the config file. While the upgrade did not eliminate my configuration, sadly the update did seem to break my tray icon's functionality. I start Deluge and have it set to open minimized into the tray. The tray menu is blank, but I was able to modify gtkui.conf to get the main window to display when the program starts.
LibertasAequitas
New User
New User

Without going completely off-topic, the issue I am experiencing looks very similar to this:

Clicking on the empty tray menu, and pressing the down arrow key restores the menu items.

Reference: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/302
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

Single or double click should toggle showing the client. Never noticed the icon issue on Windows 7 or Linux. You should be able to go back to 1.3.11 if you want. I don't think any of the config stuff will break.
LibertasAequitas
New User
New User

I have discovered a work around for the forced recheck on every startup issue!

I created a symbolic link to my external HDD, and then I "moved" my torrents to the linked folder. Deluge no longer forces all of my torrents to recheck at startup.

My theory is this:

Deluge, or OS X recognizes my HDD as "removable" media, and for whatever reason, it does not trust its consistent integrity, therefore it rechecks the files every time the program starts. However, Deluge, or OS X is not clever enough to realize that a symbolic link points to a removable device.

My only concern is what would happen if my External HDD were to actually disconnect, or be disconnected. I will be testing that next. I am hoping that Deluge doesn't start downloading and dump the files somewhere else...

Thank you for your time, and efforts.

Also, to the development team: Should you need me to further troubleshoot this issue, or would like me to try anything, please let me know. I enjoy testing software and working out issues. (It's also what I do for a living to a certain degree.)
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

For your concern about opening deluge with the drive disconnected you might want to look at this thread:

http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =7&t=52427

He managed a work around with file permissions on a Debian system.