Deluge setup tips?

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
Lrrr
New User
New User

Deluge setup tips?

Post by Lrrr »

Hi,

I am a new Deluge user. I found out about Deluge after my ISP provider sent me a warning about torrenting copyright files. Not only were these allegations false but I also felt it was a huge violation of my privacy. I have read that Deluge encryption is good enough to keep my ISP's snooping at bay.

Since using Deluge that last few days I just wanted to make sure that everything is set up optimally. Also there are a few things I cant seem to figure out. I have looked for the answers in this forum but Im not sure Im using the correct verbiage which hinders my ability to search properly. I apologize if these concerns have already been addressed; if my post is mucking up your forums feel free to delete this thread after I get the solutions (if any exist).

1) my primary concern is that my encryption is good enough that my ISP will leave me alone.
Current Encryption settings:
Inbound: Enabled
Outbound: Enabled
Level: Either
Encrypt entire stream (checked)

2) my 2nd concern is a usability issue. Currently my Deluge does not automatically start up when I click on the magnet link icon. Right now I drag and drop the magnet icon into the tracker window. Dragging and dropping is a bit tedious. Is there a way I can set up my Deluge so its automatic stock torrent client and loads everything automatically (similar to uTorrent)?

thanks
I am Lrrr! Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8! May I crash on your couch?
Shryp

Re: Deluge setup tips?

Post by Shryp »

1. Kind of doesn't matter. You most likely got a letter because someone was monitoring a tracker somewhere and got your IP from the tracker. Nothing on your end short of getting a VPN is going to change that.

For the settings, disabled means never use encryption, enabled means try to use encryption and if the other person denies you then don't use it, forced means always use it. The last 2 options, not entirely sure.

2. No idea, mine works. Maybe it is a MAC issue? Maybe some file associations are not set properly?
Lrrr
New User
New User

Post by Lrrr »

so if i set it to "forced" it saves me the trouble of rejecting files that dont let me use encryption = less button pressing while still giving me some level of protection... correct? seems like the no brainer selection. why would someone not want it on forced?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

with regards to 1 click torrent downloading this is what happens when i click on the magnet link

"The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (magnet) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

Not all clients support encryption or not everyone has it enabled. So if you set yours to only use encryption you are limiting the number of people you can connect to. Similar effect as not doing port forwarding properly.

For magnets try reading some of these links. When I installed deluge on Windows 7 it added the support automatically.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... to+browser
Lrrr
New User
New User

Post by Lrrr »

OK I figured out how to get firefox to automatically load magnet links in Deluge on a Mac. Here is how I solved the problem in case anyone else has the same issue as me.

1) Firefox drop down menu
2) then preferences
3) then applications
4) then scroll down to "magnet"
5) change "always ask" to "use other"
6) then select Deluge
7) close out of the preferences menu

fini