Port Forwarding in Mac OS X

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
oriain

Port Forwarding in Mac OS X

Post by oriain »

Maybe I missed something, but I looked on the forums. Running Mac OS X, 10.4.11. Have Macports installed. Installed Deluge. Setup went fine, port forwarded the client like I have done a thousand times before with Azurues and uTorrent, but when I tested the active ports via the preferences pane in deluge, it opens up my browser and says the port is closed. Some of the other forums suggested that it was just being reported incorrectly, but I don't think this is the case. I saw a suggestion to enable the network health monitor plugin to check the status and it says no incoming connections. The 0.5.8.6 works great on my Xubuntu, but I am not sure how to get it working on the Mac port. I am running DD-WRT on my standard linksys wireless router. I have never had problems with port forwarding before, and am fairly computer savvy. BTW, the mac version is only 0.5.8.5. Do we just randomly check the macports site to see when the newer version gets released. or is there a guide/way we can compile from source the newer version on Mac?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!
oriain

Re: Port Forwarding in Mac OS X

Post by oriain »

Okay, so I guess I should just simplify my question. I know people must be using deluge on OS X because I see the help posts. For anyone who is running deluge on OS X, meaning it is running under x11, how were you able to port forward your client? I know about portforward.com, but i can forward other native mac torrent clients perfectly. The help would be really appreciated so that I can stop running a virtual machine for a single program.

Thanks again.
tnjed111

Post by tnjed111 »

Port forwarding shouldn't be any different just because the app is running with an X11 interface. X11 is not a virtual machine, but just provides the GUI for many unix programs. Deluge is running natively. It just doesn't LOOK that way because the interface looks different. Deluge features uPnP, so you shouldn't have to worry about forwarding any ports. Your router should automatically know to open the correct port if it is also uPnP enabled (most newer home routers are). I get the same message when I test in the deluge pref pane, but my download speeds often exceed 250K/sec, so I doubt this is a problem.
oriain

Post by oriain »

What happens when you test that port from http://www.deluge-torrent.org/test-port.php?port=#####
If it says that is it closed and you still have good speds than I am satisfied. But otherwise, what can I do to ensure that the ports are open. I can't really test it myself because I somehow broke my build when I upgraded. :cry:
oriain

Post by oriain »

Well, it seems that upgrading to the 0.5.8.7 version might have fixed whatever problem I was having. When I first updated deluge via Macports, it stopped running. I would get an error regarding some line in some file, but I never really took a close look at the error to understand why. Finally I realized the error message was telling me that I was missing a file in the python2.5 lib. After uninstalling, and reinstalling the python2.5 portfile, deluge worked like a charm. tnjed111, you are absolutely right. I don't know why I didn't just look at my download speeds. My Network Health Monitor says OK when no torrents are loaded, and No incoming connections when downloading, but my download and upload speeds obviously tell otherwise. I was just being paranoid.

Thanks for the help.