How I installed Deluge 1.3.2 on OS X 10.6+ and Xcode 4

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
sww
New User
New User

How I installed Deluge 1.3.2 on OS X 10.6+ and Xcode 4

Post by sww »

First off, I am new to this forum, and only joined because I thought it would be useful to pass on some hints as to how I installed Deluge 1.3.2 on two versions of Mac OS X. The method was the same on both.

The two OSs are Snow Leopard (10.6.7) and a beta OS. The Xcode version is 4.0.2 on 10.6.7 and a beta version on the other.

I am pretty sure that the issue with deluge was that Xcode uses llvm-gcc instead of vanilla gcc, as the default gcc version. The fix I found that worked, is to tell MacPorts to use the regular gcc-4.2 to compile the problem ports with.

On and off, I have spent a few days on this, but today was the first day I could actually sit down and concentrate on it for an afternoon. The main reason it took so long was because the information is not out there, as to how to coerce some of the ports into compiling. And in the case of gcc44 it really felt like I was fighting with it!

The ports that were a problem were:
  • libsdl
    gcc44
But the reason why gcc44 would not compile (it is NOT obvious!) is because of mpfr and gmp. So what you need to do first is go in there and fix those ports good. The real frustration was that GCC would not compile the final (bootstrap) step because of FORTRAN not working. I am sure that I really don't care about that, but it's a dependency, so it needs fixing.

If you have already built mpfr and gmp, just use 'port -f uninstall gmp mpfr libsdl' before going any further.

In order to fix the ports that did not compile, you need to find the Portfile for these four ports: devel/libsdl, devel/gmp, devel/mpfr and lang/gcc44. In each of those, put the following line somewhere towards the bottom of the file:

Code: Select all

configure.compiler gcc-4.2
That should make all the difference between FAIL and WIN.

After you have changed those Portfile files, you need to build libtorrent-rasterbar with the +python26 flag. However, this port was very kind and actually told me that I needed to do that, when it failed to work.

After that, it was just a matter of waiting. Including all the dependencies, it was easily a few hours to get everything built. The irony was that one of the fastest ports to build and install was deluge itself!

Interestingly, when I built gcc44 on Snow Leopard the first time after these fixes, it failed. However, building it a second time worked. I swear I didn't wave a single dead chicken over it, and there was no incense involved. It just seemed to need to have a run up first, before it would go the whole hog.

I hope this post helps anyone else who has been fighting with getting deluge compiled under 10.6 and Xcode 4. And maybe will let people who tried and gave up, to have another go. I only installed it because I was getting an occasional kernel panic when running Transmission 2.30 beta, and my brother (hi bro!) suggested deluge. To be fair he did say it can be a sod to get working, but now I have succeeded, it does not feel like it was that much of an ordeal.

And for those brave people with a beta OS, trying to get deluge working on it, there is hope!

Good luck all :)
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Re: How I installed Deluge 1.3.2 on OS X 10.6+ and Xcode 4

Post by Spadge »

(hey bro!) Good though, isn't it?

You spend hours getting it to work, gnashing your teeth at all the stuff you're having to compile that you're *sure* you will never need, then when it all comes together and works you have a certain sense of pride and joy.

But all that aside, deluge isn't bad at all, is it? :)
sww
New User
New User

Post by sww »

Heh - I'll let you know as soon as I actually used it in anger!

The next thing is how to get the daemon and webui running on OS start. Once I have that so it survives Bangkok's seemingly-frequent power cuts (it's not a myth), I will be a very happy man :)
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

Does your kitty have something like an rc.conf? and a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ with initscripts in it?

How portable is the FreeBSD initscript in the wiki to OSX?

Otherwise you're just going to have to do an 'on boot' cron job.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

I'm guessing this sticky didn't work for you?

I had no issues installing Deluge a few days ago and I'm running Snow Leopard (with Xcode 4).
Weird.
sww
New User
New User

Post by sww »

And you guess correctly.

As I said in the post, the default compiler (llvm-gcc) threw a wobbly on libsdl, and the gcc44 port was failing to compile in a completely non-obvious way.

If it had not taken me several hours of searching and experimenting, I would not have posted at all - but I figured that one day someone else might have the same problem and start trawling these "how I got it working" posts :)
mrkstinn

Post by mrkstinn »

If it had not taken me several hours of searching and experimenting, I would not have posted at all
thanx for your efforts. and good that i managed to solve my problem with the help of your advice

---
gsm repeater 900 mhz
Brief Introduction to GSM Repeater