[HOWTO] Install Deluge 1.3.3 with Macports

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
keepitcomplicated

Re: [HOWTO] Install Deluge 1.3.1 with Macports

Post by keepitcomplicated »

Sorry CSB, thought maybe it had something todo with the setup, I've no idea why Deluge is in icelandic (other than being psychic)... everything on my system is in english except the keyboard.

BTW you don't need all that .icns file bullshit, just open a PNG in Preview, Select All and Copy, then open 'Get Info', click on the icon in the top left corner, and Paste the PNG, then you have your icon.
keepitcomplicated

Post by keepitcomplicated »

Is it possible to only install deluge, deluge-common and deluge-gtk for the client side, and deluged, deluge-web and deluge-console for the server side?
comedian

Post by comedian »

Cas wrote:Good work, do you have screenshots of deluge with gtk-quartz?
It *looks* pretty much the same, a little bit cleaner, but *runs* sooooooo much faster...

comedian

Re: [HOWTO] Install Deluge 1.3.1 with Macports / without X11

Post by comedian »

carbncl wrote:Hey, just figured how to avoid using X11, making deluge GUI more "mac-ish", and probably faster, by using GTK-Quartz (GTK using native OSX Quartz instead of X11)
It is still a macports install method. There might be a cleaner method, I'm not a python/gtk/linux coder... Found this by just playing with google and macports.
Something to be aware of (as I just discovered), is that if you have any X11-based MacPorts installed (like the excellent and free dia) that depend on cairo, pango, or gtk2, this installation method will break them :-(. I love the gtk-version of deluge on OSX though. So fast!
carbncl
Leecher
Leecher

Re: [HOWTO] Install Deluge 1.3.1 with Macports / without X11

Post by carbncl »

comedian wrote:Something to be aware of (as I just discovered), is that if you have any X11-based MacPorts installed (like the excellent and free dia) that depend on cairo, pango, or gtk2, this installation method will break them :-(. I love the gtk-version of deluge on OSX though. So fast!
That's partially true.
By doing this all GTK-X11 (and pango/cairo) ports have to be recompiled(reinstalled) against GTK-Quartz, which is, im afraid not as stable and complete as we would like.
In other words, most GTK packages will works (loving wireshark with quartz...)
But some others like dia will have weird rendering (funky rainbow background colors... thx to Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_colormap_alloc_colors: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed)
I guess a small patch would fix this :)
comedian

Post by comedian »

Yup agreed. I had recompiled poor dia after deluge-gtk and it freaked out. I bet Ethereal looks waaaaay better under gtk though.

Another thing I also noticed was that there was no shared clipboard under GTK, as there is under X11, so torrents have to saved as files then loaded into deluge rather than pasting the URL straight in. I know with Deluge / Windows there's a fancy batch file that associates .torrent files with Deluge Windows and runs Deluge and adds the torrent to it when a .torrent file is clicked in a browser. I'm gonna see if I can hack something similar together on the OSX side.

These are not criticisms as I love the new interface. Cleaner and so much faster. Just things to be aware of.
carbncl
Leecher
Leecher

Post by carbncl »

comedian wrote:Another thing I also noticed was that there was no shared clipboard under GTK
There is. But conventional keyboard shortcuts doesn't work no option nor ctrl v... But you can right-clic / paste ;)
It is definitely not the perfect solution. OSX is not pygtk friendly :)

The best would be a native OSX app to remote a Linux hosted daemon...
Too bad the json services are in deluge-web and not in deluged...
I understand that makes sense looking at deluge architecture, but would be easier to code a client...
Deluge zlib-ed rpc looks weird at first look ;)
CSB
Leecher
Leecher

Post by CSB »

keepitcomplicated wrote:Is it possible to only install deluge, deluge-common and deluge-gtk for the client side, and deluged, deluge-web and deluge-console for the server side?
It looks like there's only one all inclusive package for deluge in macports, so you're going to have to compile and install those binaries... but that doesn't mean you have to run them. My set-up only has the GTK app running on OSX. The daemon and webui are running on my ubuntu box. Having the binaries laying around hasn't troubled me ;)
carbncl
Leecher
Leecher

Post by carbncl »

keepitcomplicated wrote:Sorry CSB, thought maybe it had something todo with the setup, I've no idea why Deluge is in icelandic (other than being psychic)... everything on my system is in english except the keyboard.
I'm using deluge in english, the french traduction is... anyway.

Code: Select all

export LANG=en_US && deluge-gtk-2.6 &
Then your deluge (and all commands in terminal) will be in english :)

I'm currently using an alias doing this, i'll look someday for a nicer solution, I would love an .app bundle associated to .torrent files...

Code: Select all

alias deluge='export LANG=en_US && deluge-gtk-2.6 &'
comedian

Post by comedian »

carbncl wrote: There is. But conventional keyboard shortcuts doesn't work no option nor ctrl v... But you can right-clic / paste ;)
Weird, that was one of the first things I tried when command+v and ctrl+v didn't work. I got no right-click menu at all. I'll go back and hack around a bit.

I'm used to just going to a torrent link on a website, right-click copying it, then going into deluge and doing add torrent, URL, and having the url auto-populated with the clipboard contents. Or, barring that, pasting into the URL box. I'll play with it a bit.

This GTK version frankly has me over the moon due to it's prettiness, semi-nativeness, and speed. It's soooo close to perfect.