It works!!

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
theinc

It works!!

Post by theinc »

As a dedicated utorrent user before I switched to Mac, I couldn't really find a real replacement for it on OS X until now - I'd tried almost all of them and reluctantly settled into life with Azureus. To make matters worse, my isp is notorious for its traffic shaping and throttling practices and every torrent client I tried didn't seem to make a difference. I had read that Deluge may be my saviour...however, I ran into a lot of difficulty trying to get Deluge (and MacPorts) installed and running on my MacBook (Tiger 10.4.11) After a lot of time and trial and error, I finally got Deluge working and it was worth the trouble. For the first time in almost 2 years, I am actually seeing true "hi-speed" DL rates on moderately seeded torrents...it really kicks ass! So I just wanted to thank the devs for this awesome torrent client...it's not perfect (on OS X at least) but it does what it's meant to do and does it very well, and it's easily the best there is in my mind out there for OS X!

Also, to any other OS X users who might be having trouble getting Deluge and MacPorts up and running, and who aren't n00bs to torrents but may not be frequent terminal or X11 users, and found the lack of resources/awareness surprising and frustrating, I can share with you what I found helpful in my search (YMMV)...for me it was all about getting MacPorts installed and working, once I finally figured that part out, installing Deluge was a breeze (it just took a long time...be patient!). Here's the MacPorts guides that helped me:

http://www.macports.org/install.php#pkg
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macpo ... ngMacPorts
http://guide.macports.org/

The key is having Xcode, X11 and the X11SDK installed before you install MacPorts. As well, make sure you have the changes to the shell environment implemented correctly - http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell

In my specific case, it turned out that I didn't have a .profile file created in my home directory even after using the macports installer pkg which is supposed to create this file via a script run during installation (maybe a problem with the installer pkg?). After I created a .profile on my own, I was able to execute the "sudo" commands in terminal and get Deluge to download/install...but like I said it will take a while for Deluge to install/compile, in my case close to 4 hours, so just let it run and be patient. In the end, I know I still didn't nail the installation of MacPorts 100% correctly (esp. the shell settings) and use roundabout way of launching Deluge, but it works nonetheless.

Good luck and thanks again to the devs!!!
papaskitch
New User
New User

Re: It works!!

Post by papaskitch »

I only wish that Deluge could be installed on a Mac without requiring the use of Macports and all the development software and compiling that goes along with it. I can handle an X11 dependency, but the rest is just too much for me (Hey, a guy can dream can't he? ;) ). Until then, it'll have to be Transmission and a change of ISPs (Rogers stinks - for those of you in Canada, you probably already new that).
oriain

Post by oriain »

I've got to agree with theinc. I loved utorrent. And switching to Mac was awesome, except for no really good torrent client. I tried Transmission and BitComet and Azureus and who knows how many others. Then while kicking around Xubuntu on Parallels I found deluge. What a Godsend. and to have it ported to Mac via macports is awesome, even if it takes forever to get all the dependencies installed.

Cheers!

I just wish that I knew more programming so that I could help. I only know mostly Oracle and some C#.
theinc

Post by theinc »

Papaskitch - as a fellow Rogers user I feel your pain...and I gotta say it's worth all the trouble to get Deluge running. Transmission looks really nice but I found it never delivered any decent speeds at all and sometimes never connected to any seeds on a well seeded torrent. Anyways try to stick with it, you'll appreciate it for sure, especially on Rogers.

Q for those running Deluge on Leopard..did you have Deluge installed on 10.4 before upgrading to 10.5? If so, any issues? I'm running 10.4 now and want to upgrade to Leopard but really don't want to run into any issues with Deluge running/not running on it...should I be safe to upgrade?