Mac OSX Install Help

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
superb

Mac OSX Install Help

Post by superb »

Total noob here, trying to download Deluge for Mac OSX Tiger. I downloaded the MacPorts but have no idea how or where to do the sudo command at. I did it in a Term window with no go. I would appreciate all your help, educating a noob :lol:
oriain

Re: Mac OSX Install Help

Post by oriain »

Assuming you have macports installed, you must open a Terminal window and type

Code: Select all

sudo port selfupdate
which makes sure that you have the latest macports info. Then type

sudo port install deluge
This will take an extremely long time and might fail along the way. Just be patient. I had one error the first time. At the end of the error message, the failed dependencies were listed. I installed one of the ones listed at random via the

sudo port install
command, which caused a lot of the other ones to be installed. Then i tried instaling deluge again, and it worked. It isn't the latest version, but it is a lot better than AZ.

After that you must open X11(.app), found in the utilities folder in Applications. At that an xterm window will appear. Type

/opt/local/din/deluge
then it should run. If you don't have X11, then you need to install it from your Mac OS install disks. I also saw somewhere on another forum that you might need the Xcode and developer tools. If you run into troubles make sure those are installed. I already had installed them previously so I had no troubles.

Sorry for the long post. Best of luck
kemeng

Post by kemeng »

I got "port: command not found" message in Terminal after (leopard) MacPort package (.pkg) installing. MacPort package was installed fine, was not error message. Machine was restarted, and repaired after isntall but problem same. Could u help me?

MBP 3.1 (2.4GHz) Mac Os X 10.5.2.
aved

Post by aved »

Your path is probably not set correctly. Type this in Terminal

echo $PATH
and you should see /opt/local/bin in there somewhere. If it isn't there look at step 3 on MacPorts wiki here
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
wheelhot

Post by wheelhot »

Hey, I got the same problem as him. I did what you ask but I still get the same error. Please help me :)
jedoner

Post by jedoner »

I followed instructions. Several times I had install problems with dependencies, but eventually I got stuck. The "sudo port selfupdate" went fine---I was already up to date with MacPorts 1.600. But here is the output from sudo port install deluge:

=====================================================================

---> Building deluge with target build
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_net_deluge/work/deluge-torrent-0.5.9.1" && /opt/local/bin/python2.5 setup.py build " returned error 1
Command output: Attempting to detect your system information
32bit x86 system detected
Darwin / OS X system detected
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'deluge_core' extension
/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/boost -I./libtorrent -I./libtorrent/include -I./libtorrent/include/libtorrent -I/usr/include/python2.5 -I/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5 -c libtorrent/src/alert.cpp -o build/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/libtorrent/src/alert.o -Wno-missing-braces -DHAVE_INCLUDE_LIBTORRENT_ASIO____ASIO_HPP=1 -DHAVE_INCLUDE_LIBTORRENT_ASIO_SSL_STREAM_HPP=1 -DHAVE_INCLUDE_LIBTORRENT_ASIO_IP_TCP_HPP=1 -DHAVE_PTHREAD=1 -DTORRENT_USE_OPENSSL=1 -DHAVE_SSL=1 -DNDEBUG=1 -O2
cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
./libtorrent/include/libtorrent/time.hpp:157: error: 'time_traits' is not a template
./libtorrent/include/libtorrent/time.hpp:158: error: explicit specialization of non-template 'asio::time_traits'
error: command '/usr/bin/gcc-4.0' failed with exit status 1

Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

=====================================================================

Unfortunately, I'm not sufficiently adept with gcc to have any idea what is going on. I hope somebody does.

jedoner
someone

Post by someone »

Deluge is a brilliant client, i was using it for a long time on linux ( unfortunately its a shitty OS due to its unexplained complicity and yes i'm not a fan of terminal and **** like that ) and i don't want to go back to winblows so i have chosen osx as my main os.So to the point Osx deluge support sux and it is a waste of great potential as it can become a torrent client of choice for many osx user ( utorrent for mac sucks big time, bitrocket and transmission crash too often ).So please coders open your eyes with a switch from apple to intel architecture many people have migrated to OsX ( thx to osx86 scene ).
Thx for reading and p.s. Deluge osx support sucks we have 2009 now and pleas for help aren't still answered :<
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

someone wrote:Deluge is a brilliant client, i was using it for a long time on linux ( unfortunately its a shitty OS due to its unexplained complicity and yes i'm not a fan of terminal and **** like that ) and i don't want to go back to winblows so i have chosen osx as my main os.So to the point Osx deluge support sux and it is a waste of great potential as it can become a torrent client of choice for many osx user ( utorrent for mac sucks big time, bitrocket and transmission crash too often ).So please coders open your eyes with a switch from apple to intel architecture many people have migrated to OsX ( thx to osx86 scene ).
Thx for reading and p.s. Deluge osx support sucks we have 2009 now and pleas for help aren't still answered :<
Without having a mac or being able to run OS X in a virtual machine, it makes it very difficult to do any sort of testing.. It's up to the community of OS X users to help..
colleenex

Post by colleenex »

How can I get my Maxtor personal storage drive to work with Mac OS 10.4? I have a Maxtor Persontal Storage external drive connected to my Mac Mini with an Intel Core Duo. It see's the drive but I am unable to use the drive, it's in read only. If I try to use the Disk Utility for Mac OS, I am unable to format the drive because all of the options are grayed out. Is there any way of formatting the drive so my mac can read it? I had it connected to a PC but I've decided to go 100% mac but I cant get this drive to work.
loki

Post by loki »

colleenex wrote:How can I get my Maxtor personal storage drive to work with Mac OS 10.4? I have a Maxtor Persontal Storage external drive connected to my Mac Mini with an Intel Core Duo. It see's the drive but I am unable to use the drive, it's in read only. If I try to use the Disk Utility for Mac OS, I am unable to format the drive because all of the options are grayed out. Is there any way of formatting the drive so my mac can read it? I had it connected to a PC but I've decided to go 100% mac but I cant get this drive to work.
Do you know what the drive is formatted in? If it's ntfs you may need the mac equivalent of a driver to support write support for ntfs. Long term it's probably a better idea to look into reformatting into a filetype mac systems work better with.
If losing the data is acceptable it should be possible to connect it to a PC and just quick format it as fat32. I believe it should also be possible to run a cd based linux (live cd) and format it that way also, if you wanted to go that route.
If you wanted to keep the data it would be a bit more complicated since you would have to find a temporary location to store the data while you format it...