Deluge crashes upon invoking (GTK?) Explorer related task.

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
hattori77
New User
New User

Deluge crashes upon invoking (GTK?) Explorer related task.

Post by hattori77 »

OK, I'm scratching my head over this problem for the past few days.
This is going to be a long post, so bear with me.

I'm very well versed in uTorrent, BitComet, & Azureus, but an absolutely newbie on the workings of Deluge.

I started by installing deluge-0.5.5.95-svn2013-b21-alpha21.exe on my WinXP SP2 with no hotfix or .NET framework installed.
I selected "Ask where to save each download" and "Enable selecting files for torrents before downloading" in the Deluge Preference.
Everything runs OK the first time, I can add files freely and the Explorer GUI pops up just fine.

Then I got adventurous and started to select about 5 torrent files at one go and added them.
This is when the problem starts.

The queue list loads up to #9 and on adding the #10 torrent file, it does absolutely nothing.
I exit Deluge and restarted it, and added 1 torrent file to the queue but nothing happens after I click "Open".
That gave me the impression that the maximum torrents in the queue is limited to 9.
I deleted 4 torrents in the list and tried to add 1 torrent again, and still nothing happens as described above.

Well I guess I broke the Deluge client so I then deleted the "deluge" folder in my user profile folder and reconfigured everything with the same settings again.
Now everything is back to normal.

Then the nightmare starts with deluge-0.5.6.exe
I uninstalled Alpha21 and installed this latest version.

As soon as I click the "Add torrent" the whole client closes with no error message, no error logs....nothing but the dbus-daemon-deluge.exe still running in the background.
I started Deluge and properly exiting it this time, and then relaunch it again.
I click on the "Add torrent" and again, the client closes silently as described above.

Then I deleted the "deluge" settings folder in the user profile folder and tried it again.
This time I got it working by using "Store all downloads in:" selection and disabled "Enable selecting files for torrents before downloading".
I can add 1 torrent, and it loads into the queue list BUT the next action of clicking "Add torrent", or "Edit->Preference", or "Remove Torrent" or anything at alll... the client closes silently again with no errors message and the error logs are still empty!

So I thought.. "OK, this client could be buggy" I uninstalled 0.5.6, deleted the "deluge" & gtk-2.0 in "Application Data" in user profile folder, deleted the "Deluge" in Program Files, and reinstalled the Alpha21.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!
The Alpha21 now also have the same problem as above!!!!
And now whatever I do, I can't seem to get back the stability of Alpha21 of my 1st install.

I tried to do the above in my office PC with similar configurations and it has none of these problems at all!

Help, I'm going insane trying to figure out what kind of files that has been changed by Deluge 0.5.6 that wasn't removed properly to have this "memory effect" that affect Alpha21 too!

What I need is a solution to either :

a) solve this GTK Explorer GUI crash problem
or
b) someone to tell me what files, folders or registry setting that I might have missed so that I can reinstall either Alpha21 or 0.5.6 to the state of 1st install on a freshly installed WinXP.

Thank you.
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Deluge crashes upon invoking (GTK?) Explorer related task.

Post by avatarl »

Did you also delete the deluge installation folder and the deluge configuration folder before installing 0.5.6?
hattori77
New User
New User

Post by hattori77 »

That's not the point.
There is no real need to delete the config folder and installation folders for every updates.

That does not explain the problem of the new version still appears on the older version after I've deleted the new version's config folder and installation folders?
Myros

Post by Myros »

Thats weird indeed.

I ran on A22 myself, it was pretty stable. I also download/installed Deluge 0.5.6, but it didn't even launch (Runtime error).

I re-installed A.22 without deleting my Preference folder, and thank God, the stability is still present.

Tricky thing about your problem is: the old version still crashes, even after deleting the preferences folder :shock:
The best advice I can give you is, delete your preferences folder again and restart your P.C (dunno if this will help, but itsd worth a shot?) then re-install Deluge A.21 (or A.22).

How did you run on A.21 though, isn't that the version with the wacky share ratio calculation?
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

Myros wrote:Thats weird indeed.

I ran on A22 myself, it was pretty stable. I also download/installed Deluge 0.5.6, but it didn't even launch (Runtime error).

I re-installed A.22 without deleting my Preference folder, and thank God, the stability is still present.

Tricky thing about your problem is: the old version still crashes, even after deleting the preferences folder :shock:
The best advice I can give you is, delete your preferences folder again and restart your P.C (dunno if this will help, but itsd worth a shot?) then re-install Deluge A.21 (or A.22).

How did you run on A.21 though, isn't that the version with the wacky share ratio calculation?
stop being stupid. delete your folder and upgrade deluge. otherwise you wont get the crapload of fixes that we did between a22 and final 0.5.6. not everything can be backward compatible
hattori77
New User
New User

Post by hattori77 »

Alright. I've uninstalled Alpha21 and deleted the program and settings folders.

Installed the latest Deluge 0.5.6, and still facing the same problem as described.
And yes, I did restart my PC after every uninstall and after every installs but that did not help at all.

What can I do now?
Myros

Post by Myros »

Well.. EXCUSE me for being "stupid".

That's MY choice.
hattori77
New User
New User

Post by hattori77 »

Uninstall the old version and installed the deluge-0.5.6.1.exe.

Still no difference, the silent crash is still unsolved.