Creating a New Torrent - Solved: I just needed shorter folder names

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Thomas
New User
New User

Creating a New Torrent - Solved: I just needed shorter folder names

Post by Thomas »

Edit: Turns out my file's directories+names were too long. There was no error message thrown by Deluge letting me know this was the problem.

I have to be pretty damn retarded to not be able to figure this out. But I go into Deluge. I click File. Then Create New Torrent.

From there, I'm lost. I want to make a torrent out of a folder that contains two folders, one of which has 8 subfolders, and in all of these low-level folders are hundreds of files.

So I would think, I want to click the "Folder" button, right? That opens up a directory browser, I navigate to the folder I want, and I click Open. Nothing happens. I click Open. Nothing happens. I click Cancel. Nothing happens. I try doing drag and drop, because it gives an interesting UI, but I can't figure out if that is doing anything - it appears nothing happens.

So, can someone give me a super super detailed rundown of this super basic process?

In case it matters, the total size of the folder I want to add is 2.6 GB, and it is located in my Windows User Document folder.
Last edited by Thomas on Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Creating a New Torrent

Post by gderf »

Once you select the folder and press the Open button the path to the folder should appear in the topmost box in the create torrent window.

Next you need to provide all of the rest of the information to define the torrent (Info, Trackers, etc.)

Once you press the Save button the torrent is created.
Thomas
New User
New User

Re: Creating a New Torrent

Post by Thomas »

Thanks. But I'm stuck between these steps:

" press the Open button "

and

"the path to the folder should appear in the topmost box in the create torrent window."

That second part is not happening.

But as I play around with this more, the more I suspect it is because my files are exceeding the max character length (253?) for a windows directory. I copied and pasted all 2.6 GB to a different folder, was told 2 files could not be moved over due to file name length, and I tried adding that new copied folder to Deluge as a torrent, it worked.

I went back and shortened the name of my highest-level folder I was adding to the torrent, and now I can get it to work.
mccarty82

Re: Creating a New Torrent - Solved: I just needed shorter folder names

Post by mccarty82 »

I am suggesting to try "Long Path Tool" program.