Torrent hashes when added in queued state

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
MutatedHero

Torrent hashes when added in queued state

Post by MutatedHero »

Deluge 1.3.14 (same "issue" with 1.3.13 though)
LibTorrent 1.0.11.0
Plugins: ltConfig

Greetings,

I've got Deluge set up to only allow one torrent downloading at a time. This is to avoid files "colliding" since at times torrents containing the same files are added.
One thing I'm struggling with in this scenario is that if two torrents with the same files are added within a certain time span, the second torrent will start hash checking immediately even though it's still queued.
This causes the second torrent to start downloading a most of the files once it's removed even though they already exist.

How I expect it to work is that once the first torrent is finished the queued one will get active and start hashing and then immediately start seeding unless there's files that differ.

Is there any way around this issue? I'm guessing it's not considered a bug but rather a feature request.

Regards,
MH
MutatedHero

Re: Torrent hashes when added in queued state

Post by MutatedHero »

Is this a bug (in which case I'll create a bug report) or by design?
If it controlled by Deluge or libtorrent?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

It is libtorrent related and it's called 'mutable torrents' BEP 38. It is mentioned in lt 1.1.x changelog so you could test that version. Remember your torrents will also need to follow the BEP 38 specs.
MutatedHero

Post by MutatedHero »

I appreciate the reply Cas.
If I'm reading the above information correctly, it would indeed have the potential to solve the issue I am trying to work around.
However, my question is regarding the work around I would like to do that's not working as expected, which is, why a torrent added in queued state is hash-checked immediately instead of once it's that specific torrents turn to start download?

Descriptions of the scenario (one torrent currently downloading and the limit is one active download):
Currently: Add > Hash-check on files > Queued > Download
Expected: Add > Queued > Hash-check on files > Download
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Torrents are hash-checked upon adding to determine what pieces are required and whether to download or seed, this is controlled by libtorrent.
MutatedHero

Post by MutatedHero »

Thanks for clearing that up and thanks for a great software!