Deluge+VPN slows down the entire connection

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Rain
New User
New User

Deluge+VPN slows down the entire connection

Post by Rain »

Deluge used to work fine with the same VPN. However, since a few weeks, the following happens. Whenever I start Deluge, initially it downloads very fast - up to 1 MiB/s. Then after a few seconds, it gradually slows down to max 30 KiB/s and stays there. Meanwhile, my entire Internet connection slows down similarly - Speedtest then gives about 1 Mib/s down max. If I close Deluge, it instantly shoots up to >90 Mib/s again. All Deluge's max up/down are set to -1, as well as the individual ones.

I've tried using different ports between the FAQ recommended values, but no luck. When trying "Test Active Port", it gives me the warning sign. As soon as I disconnect the VPN, the port instantly green-lights, and goes up to 1 MiB/s again.

I'm not using a router, my firewall isn't blocking anything. I didn't change anything on my hardware, software or VPN since this started happening. I don't use custom proxy settings in Deluge. It's just plain old Deluge, with VPN. Any ideas?
mhertz

Re: Deluge+VPN slows down the entire connection

Post by mhertz »

Try change country in VPN client(with e.g. PIA, some few countries don't support/allow torrenting if I remember right, or else it's simply unstable network with the server used, but sounds more like throttling though). The color change reported is normal/OK.
Rain
New User
New User

Post by Rain »

Thanks Mhertz. I tried about 15 different countries: EU, my own, US, etc. No luck though. :(
raheel_j
New User
New User

Post by raheel_j »

If changing country does not make the difference, then I think try changing the vpn. Possibly, the vpn service you are using doesn't comply with Deluge, and other may do and do the luck.
scoobynz

Post by scoobynz »

Rain wrote:Deluge used to work fine with the same VPN. However, since a few weeks, the following happens. Whenever I start Deluge, initially it downloads very fast - up to 1 MiB/s. Then after a few seconds, it gradually slows down to max 30 KiB/s and stays there. Meanwhile, my entire Internet connection slows down similarly - Speedtest then gives about 1 Mib/s down max. If I close Deluge, it instantly shoots up to >90 Mib/s again. All Deluge's max up/down are set to -1, as well as the individual ones.

I've tried using different ports between the FAQ recommended values, but no luck. When trying "Test Active Port", it gives me the warning sign. As soon as I disconnect the VPN, the port instantly green-lights, and goes up to 1 MiB/s again.

I'm not using a router, my firewall isn't blocking anything. I didn't change anything on my hardware, software or VPN since this started happening. I don't use custom proxy settings in Deluge. It's just plain old Deluge, with VPN. Any ideas?
You dont use a router? Please explain, how do you access the internet?

You dont say, but I assume you tested this without the VPN and it is all OK without VPN?

Try reducing the number of connections in bandwidth to something like say 500. I had the same behaviour as you describe about a week ago, I reduced the number of connections from 5000 to 500 and it fixed things.