Massive Memory Usage

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
jriker1
New User
New User

Massive Memory Usage

Post by jriker1 »

Using Windows 2012. Running deluge as a service. Right now I have three blue-ray files downloading. Couldn't find out why I had no memory left on my 12GB ram system until I downloaded RamMap. It showed the following:

Torrent1 using 2.8GB RAM
Torrent2 using 2.15GB RAM
Torrent3 using 1GB RAM

What's the deal here?

Thanks.

JR
Shryp

Re: Massive Memory Usage

Post by Shryp »

The windows GUI toolkit has a memory leak in it. It isn't specific to deluge, it has to do with the backend API windows uses. You can use the thin client setup and not have the main window open all the time. You can also be sure to leave the main window on a screen that doesn't refresh often.
jriker1
New User
New User

Post by jriker1 »

think my original message causes your response not to apply however i mentioned im running deluge as a service. no window of any kind on screen.

jr
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hmm, the deamon itself can at times use more ram/cpu than you'd think, even though as said the GTK UI is normally accounting for alot of the load with it's continual "back and fourth" data transmitting.

Try play with diskcashe setting, and there's really no reason to have the cache too high i.e. max 512mb or so(defined in 16kb blocks).
The default 8mb works great for me(512*16kb=8192kb) and maxes my connection out at 16.1MB/s(150mbit down line) without exesive cpu/ram usage. I use latest stable deluge and libtorrent 1.0.9 and at times latest libtorrent 1.1.1.

If possible, and if above doesn't help, try updating libtorrent and/or deluge.
jriker1
New User
New User

Post by jriker1 »

Thanks for the reply. Mine is set to default 512 cache size as I never changed it. I'll change to 8. If that doesn't help will try updating. Just recall the last time I updated Deluge the service was no longer stable and would stop running at various times so reverted. Since I'm on 3.1.12 and 3.1.13 is the latest that must be the version I had issue with. Maybe something to do with the python 2.7 requirement.

Thanks.

JR
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but you're welcome regardless. Also, I apologise if I worded my previous post confusing, as you have a "sane" setting(default) i.e. 512 which just means 8MiB cache to libtorrent internally.