Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
RickDangerous
New User
New User

Deluge started redownloading torrents to their original folder name directory

Post by RickDangerous »

Hi all :)
I've been using Deluge for a few months and it looks a nice experience
Yet, today I've just come across this very annoying situation.

I hadn't started Deluge for a couple of weeks or so (I was away on vacation)
Today I got back and after running it, it started redownloading all torrents, to their original folder name directory
It's like it had lost somehow the path I had put when I had originally added those torrents, one by one.
So the torrents, which folder name I had left unchanged are seeding fine, while all the rest are redownloading to their original folder name location

I was on 1.3.12 and just updated to 1.3.13 hoping this might change but no luck..
Almost half my torrents started redownloading because of this, and I'm thinking I should just remove them, as it looks a bit overwhelming to change the folder name path for about ~250 torrents, one by one, again.
Is there anything else I could try at all?

Many thanks! :)
RickDangerous
New User
New User

Re: Deluge started redownloading torrents to their original folder name directory

Post by RickDangerous »

Hi again
I have encountered this bug a couple more times.
Actually it had been a few months since I came across it for the last time and I was getting a bit confident it may not occur again.
Sadly, it hit me again last night, right after the Windows 10 Creators update.
On the first deluge launch all the torrents were paused and at at 0% completion, while I also noticed that all stats were reset (downloaded/uploaded data at 0).
But again, the most important thing is all the torrents' folder names were reset to each torrent's default (if what I say makes sense).
Which is the actual problem, considering I had ~1000 torrents loaded and I'd have to check them manually one by one and rename most of their folders if I'd like to keep them seeding.
A task that seems overwhelming to say the least for that many torrents..

I got no reply the first time I posted about this problem but I thought I'd repost it since it keeps hitting me.
Is there any chance this can be addressed? Could I provide any extra info that would help?

I have one question that I suppose would help not start from scratch next time I encounter this (considering I find the courage to rename the current plethora of torrents)
Is all this information of the current state of deluge about each torrent stored in "%APPDATA%/deluge/state" or another folder so I can back it up regularly and restore it, in case this happens again?
Would a backup and restore (aka copy/paste) of the "state" folder restore the path information for each torrent?
I really enjoy using deluge compared to other clients but this is a truly devastating bug for me.
I really don't know what I should do right now. Is there any way I could restore to the previous deluge state (before the "reset") now?

Thanks for any help!

PS. I am using the latest version, currently 1.3.14
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Deluge started redownloading torrents to their original folder name directory

Post by shamael »

Hi,

check how to enable the logging to have a better view about what's going one. Maybe something with the torrents.state or fastresume during the starting phase (AV, file access permission, etc.). If all is fins you can pause concerned torrents and select "force recheck".

In any way, storage access or file corruption, the log should help (info or debug for now).
RickDangerous
New User
New User

Post by RickDangerous »

Hi, thanks for the reply! :)

I've just enabled logging (info level) in case this happens again, but the thing is I cannot deliberately replicate this problem.
And I sure wouldn't want to.
I've noticed the last time this happened was on the major windows 10 creator's update.
Before that, I believe in a couple of instances there was a windows crash (ran out of memory), but not really sure.
There have been also been a couple of instances windows ran out of memory but on restart everything was fine in deluge.

I've also found a deluged.log, big enough in "%AppData%\Roaming\deluge".
There are no dates in this log file in the various events, so I'm not sure if it can be of any help.

I wouldn't mind to "force recheck" all the concerned torrents, but the root of the annoyance when this problem occurs, is that the folder name of each concerned torrent is altered back to it's default (I change the default folder name for many torrents when I add them to deluge).
So in effect, deluge looks in a different path than the actual downloaded data and of course each concerned torrent checks to 0%.
That is the major problem ultimately, Ι would have to first change the folder name for hundreds of torrents one by one (extremely time consuming), before I "force recheck" them successfully.
Deluge also creates the empty default folder name. Minor annoyance compared to the major but still..

One thing that I also asked before, if you could tell me that could be helpful for me.
Would a backup and restore of the state folder before the problem's appearance also restore the torrents' correct state (including correct path)?
That would actually be very helpful, I could arrange an automatic backup of the state folder, so at least I won't have to go through this whole ordeal another time, in case this happens again.

Thanks for your help!!
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Yeah all the details for loaded torrents are stored in state folder so backing it up is a good workaround.

How are you running Deluge? it could be that it's not shutting down correctly.
RickDangerous
New User
New User

Post by RickDangerous »

Hi and thanks for the reply! :)

I'm running it as daemon.
A couple of times this issue has appeared have been due to improper shutdowns (system ran out of memory) but also other at a windows update, which I was not expecting and really hurt me.

In any case I'm backing up the state folder every week or so, while being more careful shutting down apps to prevent memory filling up as well.
The backup of the state folder alone should save me a lot of trouble the next time, should I come up against this issue again.

PS. I've also noticed another issue, inability to rename torrent folder from deluge if it contains a non-standard character (unicode?)
Not sure if I should post this on a separate topic or open a ticket. It is easily replicated I assume and I could post logs if needed.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

The loss of resume data has been mitigated against but it is still not perfect. I think it may require resume data files per-torrent to lessen the fallout of improper shutdown.
RickDangerous wrote:PS. I've also noticed another issue, inability to rename torrent folder from deluge if it contains a non-standard character (unicode?)
Not sure if I should post this on a separate topic or open a ticket. It is easily replicated I assume and I could post logs if needed.
Could you create a ticket for that, thanks