A few questions from a new Deluge user

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Bradex
New User
New User

A few questions from a new Deluge user

Post by Bradex »

I recently quit utorrent after it came bundled with crapware. I am using Deluge 1.3.12 on windows 10.

(1) Resuming a partially downloaded torrent used to be a cakewalk in utorrent. Is this the same way with Deluge? Say for example, after reinstalling windows and Deluge, if I just move the partially downloaded files to the 'Download to' location and re-add the torrent to deluge by clicking on the .torrent file, will Deluge resume download? OR Do I have to backup the previous config file and add it to the fresh installation of Deluge?

(2) I read somewhere that doing a force recheck after adding the partially downloaded file to Deluge will start the download all over from 0%. Is that true?

(3) Saving a 'Copy of .torrent files to' is currently not working for magnet links. I read that this feature is expected soon from a post few months back. Is the feature still on cards or has been abandoned?

(4) I could see a portable version of Deluge (albeit as earlier versions) in sourceforge. What are the benefits of using deluge as a portable application (apart from the fact that your application settings will be retained)?
Shryp

Re: A few questions from a new Deluge user

Post by Shryp »

Best option would be to make a backup of everything and test it one a single torrent first to make sure everything works as expected. That is how I test things. Copy the partial download and then try and resume it and see what happens. There is a command line switch in deluge that can define the config directory, that might work similar to the portable version.

I have personally moved download locations through the deluge UI and that works fine. Just right click on the torrent and use the move location dialog and it will handle the moving of the files for you.

Re-importing things will probably work best if you set torrents to start in the paused state. If you save your config folder, that will save all settings, current downloads and a copy of the current torrent files. Then just copy that back and as long as after the reinstall all your drives have the same drive letters everything should be same as before.
Bradex
New User
New User

Post by Bradex »

Re-importing will require a add-on. Am I right? I will definitely try it.

If I manually configure the new download location to the previous location and already have a copy of the .torrent file to resume the download, do I still need the previous config folder?
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

I generally don't have a lot of files so I just manually re-add all my torrents when needed. If you have your old config folder then everything should be exactly as before.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

(1) Resuming a partially downloaded torrent used to be a cakewalk in utorrent. Is this the same way with Deluge? Say for example, after reinstalling windows and Deluge, if I just move the partially downloaded files to the 'Download to' location and re-add the torrent to deluge by clicking on the .torrent file, will Deluge resume download? OR Do I have to backup the previous config file and add it to the fresh installation of Deluge?
If the data is in the download location and filenames match then it will re-check it and resume.
(2) I read somewhere that doing a force recheck after adding the partially downloaded file to Deluge will start the download all over from 0%. Is that true?
No, force recheck simply verifies the downloaded pieces match the corresponding piece hashes.
(3) Saving a 'Copy of .torrent files to' is currently not working for magnet links. I read that this feature is expected soon from a post few months back. Is the feature still on cards or has been abandoned?
I'm pretty sure I added this for the 2.0 release.
(4) I could see a portable version of Deluge (albeit as earlier versions) in sourceforge. What are the benefits of using deluge as a portable application (apart from the fact that your application settings will be retained)?
Can't think of anything off-hand. You can create a portable version from our releases yourself by using a modified shortcut with the config folder option added. That's all I imagine the portable version on sourceforge does.
Bradex
New User
New User

Post by Bradex »

Thanks for the detailed answers! :)
If the data is in the download location and filenames match then it will re-check it and resume.
I found this to be true. So, if I am manually point deluge to the correct folder, and I pretty much use the default settings of Deluge, is there any need to backup the config folder before doing a OS reinstallation.
No, force recheck simply verifies the downloaded pieces match the corresponding piece hashes.
I got concerned after reading this: "Force recheck discards all incomplete pieces" from here: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq
I'm pretty sure I added this for the 2.0 release.
I've double checked, clicking on a magnet link does not add torrents in 'Copy of .torrent files to' (I could find the torrents albeit with a different name in the 'state' folder), but adding a torrent using a .torrent file does this. (Deluge 1.3.12, Windows 10, Firefox 42).
Can't think of anything off-hand. You can create a portable version from our releases yourself by using a modified shortcut with the config folder option added. That's all I imagine the portable version on sourceforge does.
Deluge resumes its downloads nicely and I do not change the default settings except for the 'download to' location and 'copy .torrent files to' location. In that case I presume that I do not have any need for the config folder. So I do not see any advantage in using a portable version over the standard version.
Bradex
New User
New User

Post by Bradex »

A few more queries...

Deluge asks for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 after installation. However, even when I did not install this feature, I found it working flawlessly. How is that possible?

After installation, the first two times I ran Deluge it I had to add a windows firewall rule. Can't Deluge do it during installation itself like qBittorrent?

Is there a way to see the total data uploaded/downloaded so far (like Completed/Remaining in qBittorrent). At present, while adding a previously partially downloaded torrent, Deluge checks it and shows the % progress so far but not overall data downloaded so far. Downloaded/Uploaded show data transfer which occurs after resuming the torrent.

During uninstallation, Deluge does not delete (nor does it offer to delete) its settings (unlike qBittorrent). Is there a way to do so?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Deluge asks for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 after installation. However, even when I did not install this feature, I found it working flawlessly. How is that possible?
There are several versions of the MSVC++ 2008 redist package and we only check for hash of two of them. If it works don't worry.
After installation, the first two times I ran Deluge it I had to add a windows firewall rule. Can't Deluge do it during installation itself like qBittorrent?
Probably not going to change this.
Downloaded/Uploaded show data transfer which occurs after resuming the torrent.
Those are total tranfer not session transfer.
During uninstallation, Deluge does not delete (nor does it offer to delete) its settings (unlike qBittorrent). Is there a way to do so?
Not been asked before, one reason not to is that one misclick could end in disaster with no way to undo the mistake.
Bradex
New User
New User

Post by Bradex »

I agree that Downloaded/Uploaded are total transfer and not session transfer. But I found that, when you reinstall Windows and Deluge and then you resume a torrent (which has been partially downloaded earlier) it shows the total transfer from the moment this (partially downloaded) torrent was added to Deluge. I was not referring to pausing/resuming which would make multiple sessions.

Completed/Remaining in qBittorrent does this. The total amount of data is shown regardless of whether the torrent was added in a partially downloaded state and regardless of sessions.