[Solved] Upload speed drops to 0 within seconds

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
8and8
New User
New User

[Solved] Upload speed drops to 0 within seconds

Post by 8and8 »

Hi!

I'm a bittorrent newbie, although I've been reading lots of troubleshooting guides. I'm using Deluge on Windows 7, going through a VPN. I'm on a DSL connection with around a 1.7MBs download and 252kps upload. My router (TP-Link WR940N) is configured for UPnP and TCP, and accepts randomized ports without an issue. I've also done troubleshooting using an ethernet cable, and couldn't locate any problems.

I can download fairly well, but uploading/seeding isn't working. When I change to a new server via my VPN, uploads start well, then fade down to 0kbps within 10 seconds. (When I'm *not* using my VPN and Deluge, my FTP and Cloud uploads don't have any problems.)

In Windows Firewall inbound rules, Deluge Bittorrent Client is set to "All", "Yes", and "Allow". The same is true for Deluge.exe in outbound rules. (I notice that there are many other exe's in the Deluge folder. Should any of those be enabled by a rule as well?)

I've tried turning off the random port forwarding and setting my own range. Either way, when I test my active port, I get the warning symbol (yellow triangle with exclamation point).

My primary network shows a wireless signal strength of "Excellent", and connects to the internet just fine. There is a secondary network (the VPN?) listed as "Unidentified Network" which shows as having no internet access. Is this a correct, or the source of the problem?

Or am I just missing something really basic? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
8and8
New User
New User

Re: Upload speed drops to 0 within seconds

Post by 8and8 »

I think I've found the problem. Windows Firewall deletes all of my Deluge inbound and outbound connection rules every time I restart. Now I understand why people use a different firewall!

I've looked for a way to save different firewall profiles, but that option doesn't seem to exist. In the meantime, sometimes when I reset all my rules, I can seed, and other times, I can't. As a result of my poor seeding percentage, my downloads have slowed to a crawl. I'm still working on a full solution. My next step will be to try a different firewall program.

Again, all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
nimd4
New User
New User

Post by nimd4 »

8and8 wrote:My next step will be to try a different firewall program.
Just btw., I use Comodo - but, on full prompts - Custom Ruleset, nothing on automatic, no cloud, nothing... & some applications are "Web Browser", some are "Outgoing Only" & I've not, yet, made a ruleset for torrent programs - so, it's -just- an "Allowed Application". Hoping I won't get hax0red into the ground... However, it's the "simplest" way that I found for things to *work* :)
Z68A-G43 (G3) - i7-3770 - Vengeance 2x4GB 2133MHz - GTX 650 Gainward - WD 1TB 64MB SATA - Win7 Pro/64 SP1 / Wily Xfce AMD64
8and8
New User
New User

Post by 8and8 »

Thanks for the info!

I've installed ZoneAlarm Free. I set both my VPN and Deluge trust levels to Super, with all access inbound and outbound. When I added deluge.exe to ZoneAlarm, I could only download. Then I added deluged.exe, deluge-web.exe and deluge-gtk.exe. I briefly had an upload happening at decent speed, but now it's back to dropping to zero within 10 seconds. My active port test still fails. It's currently set to 'Random Ports'.

Ideas, anyone?
8and8
New User
New User

Post by 8and8 »

SOLVED!

I was unable to force AirVPN to use any firewall other than Windows Firewall. I contacted their support. They responded quickly, but said I only had 2 options: Use Windows Firewall, or don't use AirVPN. Needless to see, I was less than enthused.

I decided to uninstall Zone Alarm. The standard Windows uninstall left me with serious problems. I had to download the Zone Alarm Uninstall Tool. As it turned out, another user of my computer had previously installed and uninstalled Zone Alarm, and the stray leftover files were killing my upload speed in the process of battling it out with Windows Firewall.

With all the files removed, both my download and upload speeds are now normal for my area.

A note on AirVPN and Windows Firewall: The *only* software allowed through the firewall after Network Lock is activated is AirVPN. The user must add Deluge manually. Make sure that both Private and Public are checked.