I think I have some sort of strange piratebay router malware

surfsteve

I think I have some sort of strange piratebay router malware

Post by surfsteve »

Is there such a thing as router malware or a router virus?

I was trying to add a proxy server to Deluge and visited several websites claiming to do just that.

The very next time and forever after I have never been able to go to thepiratebay website. Instead it brings up a Dutch website in the very same address and all extensions. The address bar on my browser still says piratebay but when I start to type it in it comes up as CDA Anders in the dropdown box. That name is also mentioned in the website that comes up.

The really strange thing is that it does the same thing on my laptop computer which I have never used to download.
so whatever it is, has infected my router.

I have no problem going to other torrenting websites or downloading. Only thepiratebay is affected.

But wait. It gets even stranger. I went to the official piratebay forum and when I tried to sign up, the system said my details matched that of a known spammer. I think whatever hijacked my router also must have put me on their spam list at the exact same time.

Has anybody ever heard of anything like this happening before?

How can anything get to my router without the password? Oh wait... Now I'm not sure. I think I may have given it to one of the fake proxy websites. I'll bet that's what happened. Big mistake!

I think I will change my router password and see if that takes care of the problem.
surfsteve.
surfsteve

Re: I think I have some sort of strange piratebay router mal

Post by surfsteve »

After over an hour on the phone with Verizon and trying to change my router password it worked.

It was funny because we changed the password on the other computer and it affected both of them.

I still don't know exactly where I picked up the malware from