Howto: Creating a Torrent?

deluge001

Howto: Creating a Torrent?

Post by deluge001 »

How do I create a torrent? I know there is a "Create Torrent" button under File, but I can't seem to actually get stuff downloading properly. This is my setup:
boxA (Windows7)-> uTorrent and Deluge installed creating a torrent from test.txt
boxB (Ubunut)-> Deluge(d, console, webui) installed

Yesterday I created tons of variations for the torrent file and thus found that I have to seed on creation (why doesn't Deluge default to this?!) and for some reason only like clients download. uTorrent created files only downloaded on a friends computer that I installed uTorrent on; Deluge created files today only download on my Deluge server. Why is this?

The variations included uTorrent's trackers/trackerless, adding author and comments, and seeding on creation or not. Found author and comments really don't matter, trackerless just has to be sent directly to the person(s) of interest while trackers allow for...?, and definitely have to seed on creation!
deluge001

Re: Howto: Creating a Torrent?

Post by deluge001 »

I know there is lots of tutorials out there, but they all use fraken uTorrent! And none of them really explain what is going on (trackers) and seeding on creation. That's another thing I don't understand, why do you have to do that? If you create the file on your computer then add the torrent after making, wouldn't the client see that you already have it and start seeding?
deluge001

Post by deluge001 »

I tried one more time adding OpenBittorrent Tracker and adding my own server (with deluge web port), but STILL only deluge->deluge works, not utorrent->deluge! Am I missing something here?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

It could be an issue with being on the same LAN, have you tried manually adding the IP:Port in peers tab or running your own tracker?
deluge001

Post by deluge001 »

Mate, beyond hitting "Create Torrent", adding file/folder, and seeding on creation; I really have no clue! :? I was kinda hoping that someone could explain all aspects to not just me, but everybody on the forums and then get it pinned/stickied.

Where do I add the peers? I assume from the nomenclature that it'd be on the server.

How do I create my own tracker? I thought it was just "outside IP:deluge port/announce"; presumably the port deluge actually listens on instead of the webui port, which I tried earlier.