How to change Deluge's Version Number

Znuff

How to change Deluge's Version Number

Post by Znuff »

Because there are lots of trackers who don't allow Deluge Beta or RC versions, or Deluge alltogheter, here's what you need to do:

Find file core.py (located in /usr/lib/modules/python2.5/deluge/core, or replace python2.5 with whatever version of python you have, for linux, or C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\Deluge-Python\deluge-<version>.egg\deluge\core for Windows)

Find:

Code: Select all

# Set the user agent
        self.settings = lt.session_settings()
       self.settings.user_agent = "Deluge %s" % deluge.common.get_version()
Replace with:

Code: Select all

# Set the user agent
        self.settings = lt.session_settings()
#       self.settings.user_agent = "Deluge %s" % deluge.common.get_version()
        self.settings.user_agent = "Deluge 1.1.9"
(In this exampled I changed deluge 1.2.0-rc1-dev to report as 1.1.9)
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: How to change Deluge's Version Number

Post by johnnyg »

it's actually better to change L119 of common.py but please be aware that spoofing your version number may result in a ban from your tracker.
loki

Post by loki »

Yeah, from the site owners point of view it's worse than if you were trying to use a beta or rc version. It shows you are willing to modify a client in a particular way to be accepted by the site.
Or it could do further damage to Deluge if someone saw something that was going wrong on the beta or rc and you had made it appear as a stable version you could cause a stable client to be banned on your tracker.
seqn
New User
New User

Post by seqn »

I don't have any interest in changing my client ID, but I thought I'd point out a problem with your Windows instructions. My installation of Deluge 1.2.0-rc2 on Windows doesn't have any .py files, only .pyc (compiled Python). Those binary files don't look very editable. :P